Abstracts are brief summaries of the presenters' summer research projects that will be published in the SURF event program book. Guests at the SURF event will use these abstracts in the program book to identify presentations of interest.
SURF abstracts are to be comprised of three components: 1) the title and author information, 2) the body of the abstract, and 3) the acknowledgement statement, if appropriate. Here are some key things to remember about abstract submissions for the CNMS Summer Undergraduate Research Fest at UMBC.
- The deadline for abstract submissions is midnight, July 26, 2012.
- Remember that the presenter's research mentor must approve the final abstract before it is submitted. (It may take a few rewrites to get a final version, so please allow ample time for the mentor review process.) Mentors must confirm their approval to the SURF Abstract Review Team and can do so by using this website.
- The title information, which includes the names of all authors including the mentor and the affiliations of all of the authors. Use superscript numbers after each author's name to refer to the appropriate home institution, department and address.
- The body of the abstract should be no longer than 300 words. The title information, body of the abstract, and acknowledgement must fit on one page.
- Suggested content for the body of the abstract on the presenter's research includes: background, research question, approach and experiments, and conclusion.
- Follow the format shown in the template, which includes indented paragraphs
- The acknowledgement statement specifically recognizes funding support of the research project. Program coordinators, directors and/or research mentors can provide this information
- The word count does not include the title information or acknowledgement statement
- Please check all spelling and grammar
- Use the abstract fillable form (optional) with the abstract model as a guide
- Send questions that cannot be answered by individual research mentors to firstname.lastname@example.org