Congratulations on your acceptance and decision to attend UMBC! Making the transition from high school to the university setting may seem a bit daunting, but our goal as Academic Advisors is to help you through this transition as smoothly as possible. Here are a few things to know as you begin your academic journey:
1. Be aware of dates and deadlines. This is especially important for those related to Placement Testing and New Student Orientation. Make sure to visit the Orientation website early and often, www.umbc.edu/orientation.
2. Preview the online catalog. This can be very helpful for learning about major and course requirements, www.umbc.edu/catalog.
3. Consider summer bridge opportunities. Programs such as the Collegiate Success Institute (CSI), allow you to be exposed to the college experience prior to the fall semester. More information can be found at (http://www.umbc.edu/undergrad_ed/csi/).
4. Take advantage of first year academic opportunities. These include First Year Seminars (FYS) and Introduction to an Honors University (IHU) classes, http://www.umbc.edu/undergrad_ed/newstudents.html
5. Understand your general requirements. It's never to early to begin reviewing your graduation requirements,http://www.umbc.edu/catalog/2012/appendices/Appendix_IV.pdf.