New MATH/STAT requirements for BIOL B.A.
The BIOL B.A. previously required a single course in Statistics,
either STAT 350 (Statistics with Applications in the Biological
Sciences) or STAT 351 (Applied Statistics for Business and
Economics). The new BIOL B.A. major will require
two courses in Mathematics/Statistics: STAT 350 and either
MATH 151 (Calculus and Analytical Geometry I) or MATH 155
(Elementary Calculus I).
New MATH/STAT requirements for the BIOL B.S.
The BIOL B.S. degree will continue to require MATH 151 and
STAT 350. In addition, the new BIOL B.S. will require one
course. The options for the elective are
- MATH 152 (4 cr) Calculus and Analytical
- MATH 221 (3 cr) Introduction to Linear Algebra
- STAT 414 (3 cr) Environmental Statistics
- STAT 420 (3 cr) Statistics for Bioinformatics
- STAT 454 (3 cr) Applied Statistics
- CMSC 104 (3 cr) Problem Solving and Computer Programming
- CMSC 201 (4 cr) Computer Science I for Majors
New PHYS requirement for BIOL B.S.
The BIOL B.S. degree has required the courses PHYS 111 (Basic
Physics I) and PHYS 112 (Basic
Physics II). The new BIOL B.S. major will accept these courses
or PHYS 121 (Introductory Physics I) and PHYS 122 (Introductory
Physics II). The latter courses have been and
continue to be required for the Biochemistry and Molecular
Biology (BIOC) major. Students considering changing from
BIOL to BIOC are therefore encouraged to take the PHYS 121/122
See the Worksheets page for details on the