idea9.jpg

Callout

Search

follow drbillthomas at http://twitter.com

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Category Archives

Monthly Archives

Subscribe to this blog's feed Subscribe to this blog's feed

ElderbloggersRule.gif

Announcements Retirement Living TV

Blog Data

Top Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Politics blogs

Directories Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

Directory of Politics Blogs

Ageless Project

Bigger Blogger

Blog Directory

Blog Universe

« Doctor, Doctor-- Give Me the News | Main | Power Up Friday: Be Cool Edition »

March 6, 2008 |Permalink |Comments (1)

Age Bashing McCain

Regular readers are likely to know that John McCain is not my preferred Presidential candidate but, still, I am annoyed at the "he's too old to be president" line of attack.

The goal is a society that does not judge people by their skin color, their religion (or lack thereof), their reproductive organs or their chronologic age. The goal is a society that seeks, to the greatest degree possible, to judge people according to their individual merits and weaknesses.

Older Person
African-American
Woman

One way or another, America is going to have a "first" as the next president.

I would like a campaign that is less concerned about "firsts" and more concerned about the issues that face all Americans.

I'm just sayin'...

Comments ( 1)

GrannyDoc had commented on this blog a while back talking about this issue as well. I too, disagree with the notion of dismissing one's qualifications as a presidential candidate on account of their age. It seems that there are other factors that are better determinants of crystalline and fluid intelligence than age. I mean, education and diversity of experiences comes to mind. And natural aptitude certainly can not be ignored.

On the other hand, age, by itself may be able to offer certain qualities that would benefit a president as well as the country that he or she serves - a stronger sense of social justice, feeling comfortable with ambiguity, divergent thinking and greater creativity, deep concern for younger generations including those yet unborn, deeper spiritual awareness, stronger desire to be of service to others and leave a legacy, as well as many more.

So I am thinking that, if Obama was 89 instead of 49, he would still make an awesome president!

Post a comment

Remember me?

(You may use HTML tags for style)

©2007 Erickson School