MCS

MCS-Media and Communication Studies

About
Curriculum
Available Internships

What's New

« Communications Intern | Main | Programming Internship at RLTV STARTS THIS FALL! ACT NOW ! »

"I've always wanted to direct." Official Welcome from MCS Director

Posted on August 8, 2007 3:29 PM |Permalink |Comments (0)

**Welcome to the MCS blog! **

The term "blog" is derived from the Middle English word "blog" (blŏg), meaning, "to mistakenly think you have something interesting to say." We hope this blog will be a place for students to get information about internships, schedule changes, special events and a space in which we can create some sense of um, MCS-ness. One of the nice things about being part of a newly-hatched program is we get to make it up as we go along.

As the director of the program, I plan to do a lot of making things up as I go along and I'm hoping some of the work of making up this blog will be borne by some of our talented (or at least enthusiastic), motivated (or at least not completely apathetic) students who prefer fooling around with blogs to actually doing their homework. Hmm. Perhaps we can figure out a way to combine fooling around with a blog and doing homework. I'll get back to you on that.

In the meantime, it's worth mentioning a couple of things to bear in mind during these tumultuous times: The MCS-prefix courses 222, 333, and 499 will be on the schedule starting in the Spring in 2008. MCS 370, a special topics seminar focusing on digital storytelling, will be available in the Winter term. In the meantime, AMST 222 will count as a legitimate substitution for MCS 222, one of the core courses for the major and certificate. MCS 404 and 400 are currently on the books for this fall. Students doing their internship this fall should register for MCS 404. Contact me first to get the proper section number.

I'm really excited about the new program and I'm looking forward to meeting all the new majors and certificate students. I'll have office hours on Wednesday afternoons this fall. I hope you'll take a moment from your busy schedules to stop by and introduce yourselves before we get too deep into the term.

Yours in MCS-ness,

Jason Loviglio
loviglio@umbc.edu

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)