Meyerhoff Scholars Program

Meyerhoff Scholars

Resources For:

• About the Program
  • History
  • Model
  • Results

« Meyerhoff Alumni Advisory Board Meeting, Feb 18th| Main | Dr. Freeman Hrabowski Selected as one of the most Influential Advocates for Black America »

We're Number One

Americans are devoted, passionate, and quite loyal to our sports teams and the athletes that are associated with them. Our enthusiasm runs the spectrum of competition - from little league, high school, college, to professional. We celebrate joyously when they win and commiserate with total strangers when they lose. It is not hard to imagine that most fans of the New Orleans Saints, the Boston Celtics, NY Yankees, and a host of other teams are wearing paraphernalia that proudly states, "We're Number One!"

So I ask, why is it so hard for us to have this same enthusiasm and pride for our institutions and our scholars that excel in academics? Why is it that the State Champion high school football team receives trophies, plaques, banquets, and letter jackets, and the honor roll students receive bumper stickers? As a former athlete, I fully understand the dedication, effort, and skill set required to be the best. In fact, I learned early in my athletic career that "excellence demands sacrifice." However, these same attributes are required to excel in and out of the classroom.

We must start changing the culture that promotes our athletic prowess and yet minimizes academic achievement. The same motivation and encouragement that we give athletes, also will work in an academic environment. We should tell our scholars that "with practice, determination, commitment, and persistence, you can be what ever it is you want.

For quite some time, UMBC and the Meyerhoff Program have consistently ranked among the country's best in math and science graduation rates, graduate and professional school placement, and STEM graduate degree completion. Yet, even our alumni are quite modest about their university, their program, and the success of their peers as well as their own impressive accomplishments.

Finally, it is my hope that the faculty and staff of UMBC and Meyerhoff Alumni know how proud we are of their efforts, their accomplishments (in and out of the classroom), and the way that they have carried themselves throughout their impressive journeys. I also hope they know that because of their efforts, commitment to excellence, their willingness to sacrifice, their unyielding support of each other, and the support of the principals and mission of the Meyerhoff program, UMBC is able to say "We are Number One." And for that, so are you!

"Hold Fast to Dreams"

LFT

Posted by Lamont Toliver on January 23, 2010 9:54 AM |

Comments ( 7)

Anadrol:

Hi,Hello as i so absolutely love your great site, I woudl feel special if you allow me to publish a bloomy review on your website in this little would you allow me to?

Posted by Anadrol | October 21, 2010 1:20 PM

Posted on October 21, 2010 13:20

CB Cash Grenade:

You really saved me a tleast 1 hour of time. I am making a project for this topic and your information has helped me through one of the topics of my project. I will browse to the other pages now.

Posted by CB Cash Grenade | November 8, 2010 3:54 PM

Posted on November 8, 2010 15:54

free films online to watch:

I will, and i mean it... i will tell my friends about this site. He is so into this topic he will be ultra happy!

Posted by free films online to watch | December 24, 2010 8:13 AM

Posted on December 24, 2010 08:13

Barbra Warnasch:

Thank you for another great article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information.

Posted by Barbra Warnasch | December 25, 2010 10:03 PM

Posted on December 25, 2010 22:03

Backlinks:

Nice!! Great Ifo. Great People. Great Blog. Thank you for all the great sharing that is being done here.

Posted by Backlinks | January 4, 2011 6:59 PM

Posted on January 4, 2011 18:59

Buy Backlinks:

You make blogging look like a walk in the park! I've been trying to blog daily but I just cant find writing material.. you're an inspiration to me and i'm sure many others!

Posted by Buy Backlinks | January 5, 2011 6:49 PM

Posted on January 5, 2011 18:49

Backlinks:

Never thought blogging could be soo fun and interesting. Man you know how to do it brother.

Posted by Backlinks | January 14, 2011 9:25 AM

Posted on January 14, 2011 09:25

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)

News Archives

News Home

Recent Posts

Categories

Archives

Subscribe to this blog's feed Subscribe to this blog's feed

What is this?

UMBC Meyerhoff Scholars Program | Academic Services 106C | 410-455-3139 | Email | Contact Us | Home