Meyerhoff Scholars Program

Meyerhoff Scholars

Resources For:

• About the Program
  • History
  • Model
  • Results

« Living your life like it's Golden| Main | What is the secret to happiness? »

Fight the urge to be average

Often times, extreme problems require extreme solutions. It is apparent that average thoughts, average intelligence, average language, and average action and leadership is not going to be enough to move our society forward. And thus, I implore all parents and all educators to take up my banner and my battle cry and commit to teaching all of our students how to FIGHT ( the urge to be average)!

If ever there was a time to teach our youth to be brave and daring, it is now. We do not want them to be brave for any grand cause, necessarily. Definitely, not for recognition, fame, nor praise. We want them to seek these things because it is something that tugs at their heart, something that is their aspiration, something that is their dream.

Society demands of our youth the courage, the dignity, and the integrity to generate behavior and leadership beyond what sight reveals and what sound announces. We need you to go beyond the obvious, beyond what is easy, strategic, and/or popular. We need you to be brave and believe in the impossible, pay no attention to what others call reasonable and safe - inside and outside the classroom. Students, If you are to deliver on your promise and your destiny, we need you to embark on noble tasks (no matter how small) that will inspire, motivate, and bring others to your cause.

The demands of this age and the expectations for this generation are extraordinary: to meet them, extraordinary young men and women are required. There are no promises of success - there is simply your humanity, your leadership, your commitment to the greater good - and the premise and obligation that says “of those to whom much is given, much is required.

Hold Fast to Dreams

LFT

Posted by Lamont Toliver on November 1, 2010 11:18 AM |

Comments ( 5)

Candis Hakey:

I never thought I would agree with this opinion, but I’m starting to see things differently.

Posted by Candis Hakey | November 7, 2010 11:03 AM

Posted on November 7, 2010 11:03

Iyana Tennon:

I am trying to be an example of this very thing. We have some really intelligent children that need a chance to be better than average.

Posted by Iyana Tennon | November 28, 2010 7:28 PM

Posted on November 28, 2010 19:28

Bev Miga:

Do you have any other similar blogs and/or related fields of expression. This information has caused in me some quasi-cascade effect that has resulted in a great rearangement of my knowledge almost akin to a complete paradigm shift in the way I perceive the world. Thank you so much for this and I bet you wil accumulate a ton of Karma and positive chi due to your wonderful undertaking in this blog!

Posted by Bev Miga | December 24, 2010 5:39 PM

Posted on December 24, 2010 17:39

what are dreams:

Hi! Just wanted to mention that I love all your publishing way and that I am going to visit your blog continually from now on ;-) Keep it up!

Posted by what are dreams | December 25, 2010 11:03 PM

Posted on December 25, 2010 23:03

Plumbing Service Tyler TX:

Hey how are you doing? I just wanted to stop by and say that it's been a pleasure reading your blog. I have bookmarked your website so that I can come back & read more in the future as well. plz do keep up the quality writing

Posted by Plumbing Service Tyler TX | December 27, 2010 6:11 AM

Posted on December 27, 2010 06:11

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)

News Archives

News Home

Recent Posts

Categories

Archives

Subscribe to this blog's feed Subscribe to this blog's feed

What is this?

UMBC Meyerhoff Scholars Program | Academic Services 106C | 410-455-3139 | Email | Contact Us | Home