During today's UMBC Professional Development Day, John Fritz presented five reasons why (and how) UMBC staff might want to use Blackboard in their work.
1. Using Blackboard for Job Search or RFP Committees
Review one “thread” per applicant or proposal on the Bb discussion board.
Post initial “vote” by changing subject line of your reply to Yes, No or Maybe.
Optional: Use body of your reply to explain your “vote”
“Subscribe” to the Discussion Board to receive email alert of posts by other members.
Meet face-to-face as a group to “negotiate” your online voting differences and reach consensus.
2. Subscribe to a DB to be alerted by email whenever there are new posts
Key Steps Subscription is NOT a default setting for the discussion board—but should be.
Bb Instructors have option for what “subscribers” are alerted about:
Forums (Great for receiving update about any new post)
Threads (More targeted and specific)
Tim Hardy (ECON) uses adaptive release to raise student grades by 20 percent
3. Configure access to content (e.g., timesheets, P&T documents) based on roles
4. Train PT or student workers using online tutorials
Learn how to create brief “show & tell” screen cast videos with Jing. Dead easy.
5. Use Wimba voice & video conferencing for live or recorded meetings from home.