Title: Communications Intern
Location: Columbia, Maryland, United States
Base Pay: $15.00 per hour
Employee Type: Part-Time, 15 to 20 hours a week
Length: One semester plus opportunity for renewal during summer break
Job Type: Communications/PR
Required Education: At least college junior, working toward a BA or BS from a four-year college or university
W. R. Grace & Co. (NYSE: GRA), a global specialty chemicals and materials company headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, is seeking a Communications Intern to assist with a range of internal and external communications projects. Advanced undergraduate students studying toward a degree in communication, public relations, business, marketing or related field are encouraged to apply.
Intern will work directly with the Corporate Communications Manager and will be involved with a variety of creative projects that include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Drafting press releases and assisting with media outreach
• Assisting in the production of employee and stakeholder communications, such as quarterly employee town hall meetings and investor meetings
• Researching and writing articles, letters and announcements for the Chairman, President & CEO and other members of the executive leadership team, and for Corporate Communications and other departments
• Assisting in the production of electronic and printed newsletters and annual reports
• Copy editing
• Assisting in the creation and execution of branding, marketing and community outreach campaigns
• Assist in managing and updating content for the company’s internal and external web sites
For more information, including position requirements, please see below the jump. To apply, please email BOTH a resume and cover letter to Larisa Cioaca at email@example.com
• College junior or senior, working toward a BA or BS from a four-year college or university with an anticipated degree in journalism, communication, public relations, business, marketing or related discipline
• Public relations, marketing, design and/or advertising experience are a plus, but not required
• Knowledge of at least one other language than English is preferred.
• Excellent writing, communication and organization skills, including: the ability to synthesize a broad array of information, the ability to organize written materials in a visually clear and instinctive way, attention to detail, excellent grammar, attention to consistency of message and “voice” throughout any given material or publication
• Computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Skills in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop are a plus!
• Ability to work in an energetic but unstructured atmosphere, both in independent and group settings
• A positive attitude and willingness to be flexible
• Ability to think critically
• Intern should be able to work a minimum of 10 hours per week during normal business hours (8 AM to 6 PM). Schedule is flexible.
About the Company
A member of the Fortune 1000, W. R. Grace & Co. (Grace) has offices in more than 40 countries and revenues of $2.8 billion in 2009. The company produces specialty chemicals and materials that are used by millions of people each day. Among many other things, Grace ensures the integrity of some of the world's major buildings and bridges, enhances the performance of petroleum products and helps preserve the integrity of food packaging.
The company is a frequent award recipient and was named the second best company in Maryland in September 2010 by the Gazette of Politics and Business based on innovation, financial results, work environment and community outreach. In addition, the company has received:
• Corporate Volunteer of the Year Award (2010) from Howard County (MD) Council for community outreach
• Caregiver Friendly Workplace Award (2010) from Howard County Commission on Aging for offering programs that help employees manage responsibilities for older relatives and support senior citizens in the community
• Corporate Citizen Award (2010) from the American Red Cross of Central Maryland for making a “significant improvement in the life of the community”
• Healthy Workplace Award (2009) from Howard County Department of Health for employee health and well-being activities and resources
• 25 Best Places to Work (2009) from Baltimore Magazine for the company’s “generous benefits and nice suburban campus” in Columbia