Apply to become the AmeriCorps VISTA with UMBC’s Service-Learning Program!
AmeriCorps VISTA members commit to serve as full-time volunteers for one year.
WHAT DOES THE MDCC VISTA DO AT UMBC?
• The MDCC VISTA will work at UMBC with The Shriver Center’s Service-Learning Program to recruit UMBC student volunteers, increase community partnerships, and develop self-sustaining service opportunities that bring the resources of UMBC to our local community partners.
• The MDCC VISTA will work with UMBC’s Service-Learning Program and two middle school partners in the implementation of 3 key campus-community projects:
o Plan college access visits to campus for local middle school partners
o Coordinate curriculum-based service-learning projects with middle school partners
o Recruit UMBC students to serve as volunteers for service-learning activities
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
• The VISTA member will receive health insurance, a travel allowance (for work-related meetings and events), and a taxable living allowance of approximately $11,200 for the year of full-time service (August 2011-August 2012).
• After successfully completing the service year, the VISTA will be eligible to receive either $1,200 in cash or an AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,350 that can be used toward the repayment of student loans or school tuition.
HOW DO I APPLY?
• Complete the VISTA Intent to Apply Form that you can access at http://shrivercenter.umbc.edu/service_forms.html. The deadline for completed Intent to Apply forms is 12pm, Monday, April 25th, 2011.
Contact Clare Greene (email@example.com) in the Service-Learning Program at The Shriver Center for more information.