UMBC logo

Search

Recent Posts

Category Archives

• Art
  • Columns
  • Features
  • General
  • Research
  • Sports
  • Teaching for Current Semester
  • Top News

Monthly Archives

Subscribe to this blog's feed Subscribe to this blog's feed

« Welcome | Main | Interview in New York Times Science Section »

December 12, 2007 |Permalink

If you are a non-mathematician.

Here are the items of particular interest to non-mathematicians on my Web site. First, there is an interview on math and math anxiety, which I gave to Sheilah Kast on her WYPR show, Maryland Morning. I especially want to thank the producer, Jennifer Chang, for her work in getting this on the air. Also, you can find a number of items under the "Outreach Activities" tab, including an excerpt from a story I wrote about mathematicians (called "The Tolman Trick"). Probably the link I'm most excited about, though, is the one to "Taming Infinity," a recording of a presentation on infinity. This is especially designed for non-mathematicians - it takes you deep into the abstract concept of infinity and the workings of mathematical proof, without involving anything more than fractions and decimals. (Do check it out - and incidentally, look carefully at the leopard's spots - it took me a while to get them on, using Photo Shop.)

Finally, there is some more information about the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) outreach I am performing in various schools. This last activity has been quite exciting, since it has brought me face to face with kids learning mathematics (and boy, are they energetic!) It's usually performance in school that determines the career path people choose, so I know at what a crucial time I am getting the opportunity to interact with them.