« Jack’s 2010 Top 10 Technology Picks Main My Technology Resolutions for 2011 »
Dec
31
2010

My Favorite iPhone Apps

Tags: | | |

It my earlier blog I highlighted my top technology picks of 2010 and rated the iPhone 4 as my #1 pick.

I wanted to share a few of my favorite applications and ask you to give me some feedback as to what you enjoy.

Here is my top set of applications.

1. Maps + GPS - I drive an older car with no GPS and can't tell you how many time these apps have saved me. Even when I take the subway to DC I find I use the walking directions to find my final destination.

2. RunKeeper - I love to cross-train and RunKeeper is a great app for people who like to bike, walk, or run outside. It tracks your distance, pace, and maps all this using the integrated GPS.

3. Mail - The iPhone mail application does a great job on a small display. I can keep up with my email very effectively through mail. It integrates with UMBC's email and if you switch to Google and handles most attachments very well. There is just no better mail application on a mobile device.

4. Safari - the iPhone web browser is very good. I use the web browser to read the mobile web sites of the Baltimore Sunpapers and New York Times. While I don't recommend this I have even used the web browser to access Peoplesoft and approve a requisition that needed to go in.

5. iPod/Camera - Having a phone that is also has all your music and can be used as a camera or video recorder is very convenient. Not having to carry other devices on vacation is what it is all about!

6. Facebook - The iPhone facebook application is very good and allows you to quickly keep up with friends. I use it more than the web version when I find I have a few minutes to wait somewhere.

7. Pandora - Pandora is a great application for streaming music. It allows you to enter your tastes and then sends music that fits your taste.

8. Amazon.com - I use this application when shopping. You can do a really quick price comparison to see if you are actually getting the deal you think you are.

9. Reeder - This is a great iPhone application for following Google Reader feeds. The interface is outstanding.

10. Todo - This is the iPhone version of the iPad application I use for managing my tasks. Once you set it up to sync with your Toodledo account you can enter or modify Todo's on any device and sync to the "cloud."

Do you have an iPhone app that you love, if so drop me a note,
jack@umbc.edu.

Jack Suess

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)

Topics

Monthly Archives

Full Monthly Archives