Read More UMBC News Blog Stories
March 28, 2001
UMBC STUDENTS PRESENT FIRST WEEKEND ARTS FESTIVAL, ARTBEAT
In order to promote the work of talented UMBC artists, UMBC's Society of Recording Technology Students have organized ArtBEAT, a festival presenting visual art, music, dance, theater, film & video, and performance art by UMBC students and local artists. ArtBEAT will be held on Saturday, March 31 and Sunday, April 1 in and around the Fine Arts Building and the University Center. For more information call (410) 868-6963. PLEASE NOTE: ELEANOR LEWIS IS A MEDIA CONTACT ONLY. CALL THE NUMBER LISTED FOR EVENT INFORMATION.
In addition to free performances and exhibits on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, ARtGAZm, a Saturday evening dance party/fundraiser, will feature a variety of djs, including Supa DJ Dmitry of the 90's musical group, Dee-Lite. Tickets are $15; $12 with student ID. A portion of the proceeds from the dance party will go to the Children's Theater Group (CTG), a non-profit organization that teaches disadvantaged youth the art of acting and helps them produce shows.
· Noon - The UMBC Gospel Choir will kick off ArtBEAT in the Fine Arts Recital Hall
· 1:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m.: Children's Theater Group performances in Fine Arts 011
· 2-4 p.m. - The BIRDS, (Baltimore International Rhythm & Drumming Society) will sponsor an open drum jam outside the Fine Arts Building
· 3-7 p.m. - "Clash of the Styles," a multi-genre battle of the bands in the UC Ballroom
· 6-8 p.m. - Vagina Monologues performance
· 8 p.m.-2 a.m. - Dance Party in the University Center with Supa DJ Dmitry (headliner), DJ Willie, Kidd Linus, & Tryptonite; Down Tempo soundsystems- John Ask, Dan G. & Chris Brooks; DJ Decibel, and Muhammadon the Mixmaster
· 12 -5:30 p.m. - live music and spoken word performances in the Fine Arts Recital Hall and Ampitheatre
Posted by dwinds1 at March 28, 2001 12:00 AM