UMBC NEWS

Read More UMBC News Blog Stories

March 12, 2004

UMBC HEAD MEN'S BASKETBALL COACH RESIGNS

The UMBC Department of Athletics has accepted the resignation of Tom Sullivan as Head Men's Basketball Coach, UMBC Director of Athletics Dr. CharlesBrown announced today.

In nine seasons at UMBC, Sullivan compiled a 106-145 record, becoming just the second coach in the University's basketball history to record 100 victories.During the 1997-98 season, UMBC improved by 8 ½ games to finish at 14-14, and Sullivan was named Big South Conference Coach of the Year. The followingyear, UMBC's first in the Northeast Conference, Sullivan and the Retrievers set a league record for consecutive wins to begin a season (15) and won theconference's regular season title with a 17-3 mark. Sullivan was named Northeast Conference Coach of the Year for the 1998-99 season.

In 2001-02, Sullivan led the Retrievers to amass 20 victories for the first and only time in their 18-year NCAA Division I history.

In Sullivan's final season at UMBC-the Retrievers' first in the America East Conference- UMBC completed the 2003-04 season with a 7-21 record. Sullivan'scareer record stands at 260-270 in 19 seasons as a head coach.

“Tom Sullivan provided UMBC Basketball with many fine moments during his tenure here,” said Director of Athletics Dr. Charles Brown. “We wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.”

“I want to thank the University for affording me the opportunity to have coached so many fine student-athletes in my nine years as head coach here at UMBC,” Mr. Sullivan said. “I am very proud of our successes on the court as well as our excellent graduation rate. It has been a very challenging experience. I hope I leave my players with skills that will serve them well as they go through life. I wish everyone at UMBC, students and administration, every future success.”

A decision regarding the search process for Coach Sullivan's successor has not been made at this time. Randy Monroe is currently serving as Acting Head Men'sBasketball Coach.

Posted by dwinds1 at March 12, 2004 12:00 AM