Read More UMBC News Blog Stories
January 11, 2005
UMBC Presents the Phoenix Dance Company
The UMBC Department of Dance presents the Phoenix Dance Company, the professional dance company in residence at UMBC, in its annual concerts from Wednesday, February 9 through Saturday, February 12 at 8 p.m. in the UMBC Theatre.
Tickets are $15 general admission and $7 for students and seniors, available through MissionTix at www.missiontix.com or 410-752-8950.
Renowned for its exploration of dance and technology, the Phoenix Dance Company features choreography by co-artistic directors Carol Hess and Doug Hamby, and performances by Sandra Lacy and other artists. The venerable company, founded in 1983, has played in venues such as the Kennedy Center, Lincoln Center, the Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore Theatre Project, Ohio State University, Judson Church, Goucher College, McDaniel College, Salisbury University and Temple University.
The program will include:
- Common Axis III, a multimedia work for eight dancers, featuring video by Timothy Nohe and sound performed live by Joe Reinsel;
- Two premieres by Doug Hamby and Carol Hess;
- Henrietta and Alexandra by Mexican choreographer Jose Bustamante, an emotionally charged, dramatic and very physical piece performed by Sandra Lacy and guest artist Mary Williford-Shade;
- Shooting Gallery by Carol Hess, performed by Mandi and Evan Davidson;
- A Memory (Baltimore premiere) by Doug Hamby, performed by Emily Gibbs;
- Three Miniatures by Tonya Lockyer, performed by Sandra Lacy;
- Dancers Cristal Cooper, Evan Davidson, Mandi Davidson, Jenifer Dobbins, Lisa Fecteau, Emily Gibbs, Christina Kennedy, Sandra Lacy, Lindsay Phebus, Alicia Ritgert, Chip Scuderi and Mary Williford-Shade
General admission: $15.00
Students and seniors: $7.00
Box Office: http://www.missiontix.com or 410-752-8950
UMBC Artsline (24-hour recorded message): 410-455-ARTS
Media inquiries only: 410-455-3370
UMBC Arts website: http://www.umbc.edu/arts
UMBC News Releases: http://www.umbc.edu/newsevents/oci/index.phtml?r=Art
Images for Media
High resolution images are available online:
or by email or postal mail.
From Baltimore and points north, proceed south on I-95 to exit 47B. Take Route 166 toward Catonsville and then follow signs to the Theatre.
From I-695, take Exit 12C (Wilkens Avenue) and continue one-half mile to the entrance of UMBC at the roundabout intersection of Wilkens Avenue and Hilltop Road. Turn left and follow signs to the Theatre.
From Washington and points south, proceed north on I-95 to Exit 47B. Take Route 166 toward Catonsville and then follow signs to the Theatre.
Theatre Parking is available in The Commons Garage.
Online campus map: http://www.umbc.edu/aboutumbc/campusmap/
Posted by dwinds1 at January 11, 2005 12:00 AM