Read More UMBC News Blog Stories
January 12, 2007
UMBC Presents the Phoenix Dance Company
February 7, 8, 9 & 10, 2007
8 p.m., UMBC Theatre
Contact: Thomas Moore
Director of Arts & Culture
Note: You may view or download this release as a pdf file.
UMBC presents the acclaimed Phoenix Dance Company, the professional dance company in residence at UMBC, in concert on February 7, 8, 9 and 10, 2007 at 8 p.m. in the UMBC Theatre.
Renowned for its revolutionary exploration of dance and technology, the Phoenix Dance Company features riveting choreography by Carol Hess and Doug Hamby (hailed as “bold and ambitious” by The Washington Post), and performances by the award-winning Sandra Lacy and other artists.
The program will include:
- A hardcore/punk work by Carol Hess, In Fits and Starts/Scenes from a Personal Space, featuring the chaotic and thrashy music of Baltimore band Lilu Dallas.
- Square Breath by Doug Hamby, first premiered at Dance Place in Washington, D.C., by Doug Hamby Dance, and now set to a new score by Ferdinand Maisel. Dancers, moving through a wired space, help create the sound score to this strong, powerful and percussive creation.
- The extraordinary Sandra Lacy in two highly expressive solos, one of her own and one choreographed for her by Ting Yu-Chen.
- 22 Dean Street by Doug Hamby, a soulful response to the music of Charlie Hayden.
- …of no small use or advantage, a rich landscape of movement for seven women created through an choreographic process involving a radical interpretation of the graphic symbols of baroque dance scores, by Carol Hess.
- The premiere of Persona by Carol Hess, a new solo about personal identities, performed by Jenifer Dobbins with a tiny wireless surveillance camera.
General admission: $15.00. Students and seniors: $7.00.
Box Office: www.missiontix.com or 410-752-8950
Box Office: 410-752-8950
UMBC Artsline (24 hour recorded message): 410-455-ARTS
• From I-95 take exit 47B. Take Route 166 toward Catonsville and then follow signs to the UMBC Theatre. Parking is available in The Commons Garage.
• From I-695, take Exit 12C (Wilkens Avenue) and continue one-half mile to the entrance of UMBC at the roundabout intersection of Wilkens Avenue and Hilltop Road. Turn left and follow signs to the UMBC Theatre. Parking is available in The Commons Garage.
Online campus map: http://www.umbc.edu/aboutumbc/campusmap/
Posted by tmoore at January 12, 2007 1:48 PM