Read More UMBC News Blog Stories
March 15, 2011
UMBC Presents the Da Capo Chamber Players in Concert
Sunday, April 3, 2011
7:30 pm, UMBC Theatre
Contact: Thomas Moore
Director of Arts Management
This release is available as a pdf file.
Since their founding in 1970, the Da Capo Chamber Players have established themselves as one of the foremost new music groups in the United States. The group's mission is to give new works the dedicated attention and exciting performances consistent with the highest musical standards in traditional repertoire. Winners of the Walter W. Naumburg Chamber Music Award in 1973, for 18 years they were one of the highest funded chamber groups by the National Endowment for the Arts. Da Capo is a leader in building a strong heritage of present-day American chamber music: the group is known not only for exceptional artistry but also for the wealth of new compositions written for them.
Their program features the following works:
* Marc Mellits (b. 1966): Spam (1995)
* Charles Wuorinin (b. 1938): Bearbeitungen über Das Glogauer Liederbuch (1962)
* Igor Stravinsky (1882–1971): Suite from L'histoire du soldat (1918–19)
* Victoria Bond (b. 1945): Quintet (1970, revised for Da Capo)
* Gabriela Lena Frank (b. 1972): Cuatro Bosquejos Pre-Incaicos (Four Pre-Inca Sketches) (2006)
* Shen Yiwen (b. 1986): Quintet (2008)
$7 general admission, $3 seniors, free for students, free with a UMBC ID. Tickets are available through Missiontix at http://www.missiontix.com, and will be available at the door, cash or check only.
UMBC Arts website: http://www.umbc.edu/arts
Images for Media
A high resolution image for media is available online:
• From I-95 between Baltimore and Washington take exit 47B. Take Route 166 toward Catonsville and then follow signs to public parking.
• From I-695, take Exit 12C (Wilkens Avenue) and continue one-half mile to the entrance of UMBC at the roundabout intersection of Wilkens Avenue and Hilltop Road. Follow signs to public parking.
• Online campus map: http://www.umbc.edu/aboutumbc/campusmap/
Posted by tmoore at March 15, 2011 4:48 PM