UMBC NEWS

Read More UMBC News Blog Stories

July 23, 2013

UMBC Announces the Appointment of Zeev Rosenzweig as Chair of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry

July 24, 2013

Contact: Nicole Ruediger, nruedige@umbc.edu, 410-455-5791

UMBC is pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. Zeev Rosenzweig as chair of the department of chemistry and biochemistry and professor of chemistry, effective January 1, 2014.

Rosenzweig will come to UMBC from the National Science Foundation, where he is presently a program director in the division of chemistry. He also carries the title of professor adjunct in the chemistry department of the University of New Orleans, where he was previously a professor. His research interests are in the synthesis of nanomaterials and their applications in biological and environmental systems.

“We are delighted to have Dr. Rosenzweig be a member of our campus. He is a gifted and talented researcher, experienced educator, and proven administrator,” said William LaCourse, dean of the college of natural and mathematical sciences.

In addition to his management and leadership experience, Rosenzweig has an outstanding record of scholarship. He received his B.Sc. in Chemistry in 1986 and Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry from The Hebrew University of Jerusalem in 1992. He also held postdoctoral research positions at the Ames Laboratory of Iowa State University (mentored by Dr. Edward S. Yeung) and the University of Michigan (mentored by Dr. Raoul Kopelman). He is the author of 57 refereed papers in a variety of prestigious journals, eight book chapters and one patent. Rosenzweig has presented numerous papers at national and international conferences. Rosenzweig’s leadership and excellence has been recognized with an NSF CAREER award, Hebrew University Visiting Scholar Award, and a number of service awards from NSF including the NSF Director’s Superior Accomplishment Award.

On accepting his appointment as the chemistry and biochemistry chair, Rosenzweig said, "I am honored to have been selected Chair of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at UMBC. I thank Dean LaCourse and the search committee for their confidence in me to work with the faculty and lead the department to continued excellence in chemistry and biochemistry research, teaching, and service in the upcoming years. I am excited about the opportunity to redevelop my research program in the area of nanomaterials chemistry and to make significant contributions to solving sustainability and human health problems through the use of nanoscience and nanotechnology. I wish to thank NSF for providing me with the opportunity to serve the community as Program Director in the Division of Chemistry for the last eight years. I believe that lessons I learned from my NSF experience will prove invaluable as I assume my new role as Department Chair. Finally, I wish to thank the outgoing Department Chair Dr. Richard Karpel for his leadership over the past few years, which has allowed the UMBC Chemistry Department to maintain its tradition of excellence."

Rosenzweig’s appointment as chair brings to a conclusion a successful national search for a leader who will build upon, and enhance, the outstanding reputation of UMBC’s department of chemistry and biochemistry in teaching, research, outreach and service.

Posted by chelseah at July 23, 2013 5:22 PM