UMBC Wellness Initiative

Success Stories : July 2009

Marjie Gill

Last year I was diagnosed with asthma and found my weight kept me from doing the things I enjoyed. My doctor challenged me to lose 30 lbs and instead I lost 45. I began walking the loop & then jogging. I now go for a "wog" walk/jog every day.
With a heavy schedule, I block out 1 hour a day for myself to exercise. The wog allows me to have some alone time and clear my head. I challenge my mind and body. No longer am I looking for a 2PM snack. Wogging the loop allows me to appreciate all the hard work and dedication our department provides to the campus.
Many of FM staff walk at lunch or use the gym. We encourage & challenge each other to get & stay fit. Best of all, I no longer need my inhaler or medication! I feel young & energized.

Marjie Gill
Work Control & IT Systems Manager
Facilities Management

B. Rose Huber

The day I signed up for a half marathon was the day I decided to regain my health. It had been years since I had run on a regular schedule, and my weight had fluctuated. My strength and flexibility had decreased, and I was feeling all-around sluggish. In March 2009, almost on a whim, I signed up for the Pittsburgh Half Marathon. That was the moment I decided that I was going to do this. Without that moment, there wouldn’t have been months of training. Without months of training, I wouldn’t have run that half marathon in May 2009. And without that half marathon, I wouldn’t be a runner again.

I’m proud to have a video of me crossing the finish line after 2 ½ hours of running: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaEn12LLssc.

B. Rose Huber
Assistant Director of Public Relations
Office of Institutional Advancement