A set of principles has served to guide the University in the development of this Facilities Master Plan Update. These principles were collaboratively derived early in the planning process to define the fundamental values necessary to support the University’s strategic aspirations. They establish the parameters for the master plan, which when followed, will assure that the physical environment aligns with and provides for academic, student life, and outreach program needs.
- Continue to develop and grow to meet the institution’s mission.
- Focus on student success by continually improving retention and graduation rates.
- Develop new and expand existing academic and research programs.
- Create a physical environment, indicative of the high quality programs of the University.
- Plan for the future in a fiscally responsible way.
- Promote life-long engagement of our students through academic, alumni, professional, and co-curricular programs.
- Embrace and foster a residential atmosphere supportive of the academic aspirations of the University.
- Create a sense of ‘campus life’ which supports multi-culturalism, student/faculty engagement, community interaction, and social responsibility.
- Create and foster partnerships throughout the greater Baltimore/Washington region. Increase collaborations with government, corporations, private enterprise, school districts, and non-profit organizations.
- Enhance efficient delivery of support services.
- Attract and retain the best faculty, staff, and students to support the Institution’s programs.
- Institute sustainability objectives that support Campus Climate Commitment efforts to reduce the University’s’ carbon footprint.
- Develop and operate in a sustainable and fiscally responsible way to enhance administrative effectiveness.
- Implement initiatives that improve energy efficiency, enhance water and air quality, and engage natural systems.
- Embrace and support a cultural shift in educational, operational and social behavior that supports a commitment to sustainability.
- Assure that the campus is an aesthetic, inviting, accessible and safe place.
- Create a campus that has dynamic learning environments to foster interaction.
- Support all campus programs with high quality facilities, technology, site amenities and infrastructure.
- Support and enhance the social, physical, and cultural diversity on the campus.