- Catalog Home
- Academic Programs
- Course Descriptions
- Undergraduate Degree Requirements
- Academic Standards and Administrative Requirements
- Academic Resources
- Special Opportunities
- The First-Year Experience
- Life on the UMBC Campus
- Division of Professional Studies
- Admission to UMBC
- Tuition and Fees
- Paying for College
- Archived Catalogs
English Language Institute
English Language Institute (ELI)
UMBC’s English Language Institute (ELI) offers courses for current and prospective UMBC students who seek to advance their English language skills. Students who successfully complete upper-level ELI courses are eligible to apply for conditional admission to UMBC’s bachelor’s degree programs (no TOEFL is required) and master’s degree programs.
The ELI offers varied program and course options:
• Intensive English Program (full- or part-time study)
• Academic English Program (full- or part-time study)
• Specialized courses (TOEFL, GRE, and TOEIC preparation; pronunciation; public speaking; professional English, and more)
• TESOL training course for aspiring ESL/EFL teachers
Additional ELI resources include individual tutoring, English language learning software, a conversation partner program, student advising, student activities, and more.
For more information, contact the ELI (410-455-2831, email@example.com) or see www.umbc.edu/eli.