UMBC logo
College of Engineering and Information Technology
UMBC Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
Graduate Students

Q. I have a non-chemical engineering undergraduate degree. What do I need in order to work toward an advanced degree in chemical engineering?

You need to take undergraduate classes that will prepare you for our graduate core curriculum. Our graduate core curriculum consists of... 

  • ENCH 610 Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics 
  • ENCH 630 Transport Phenomena
  • ENCH 640 Advanced Chemical Reaction Kinetics 
  • CHEM 437 Comprehensive Biochemistry I (only a requirement for the PhD)
  • MATH 404G Introduction to Partial Differential Equations: Graduate Section
To Prepare for ENCH 610 you need to take ENCH 300 (Thermodynamics)
  • Prerequisites : MATH 251 (Multivariable Calculus) & CHEM 351 (Organic Chemistry). 
  • Note: we will permit the student to take these prerequisites at the same time as ENCH 300 (co-requisites).
To Prepare for ENCH 630 you need to take ENCH 425 (Transport I: Fluids) & ENCH 427 (Transport II: Heat & Mass)
  • Prerequisites: MATH 225 (Differential Equations). 
  • Note: Depending on the student, we may permit the student to take these prerequisites at the same time as ENCH 425 (co-requisites).
  • Note: Depending on the student, we may permit student to take ENCH 630 at the same time they are taking or auditing ENCH 427.
To Prepare for ENCH 640 you need: ENCH 440 (Kinetics)
  • Prerequisites : ENCH 300 (Thermodynamics), ENCH 425 (Transport I: Fluids).
To Take MATH 404 you need these prerequisites:
  • MATH 251 (Multivariable Calculus). 
  • MATH 225 (Differential Equations).
Graduate Non-Degree Status: 
Students can take the undergrad classes above as a "Non-Degree Seeking Student." UMBC allows up to 6 of these credits to eventually count toward a degree.  Graduate Non-Degree students pay graduate rates for their classes regardless of the level of the actual class.  Typically students take classes as a non-degree-seeker for the following reasons: 
  • Student has been away from school for a while and wants to make connections for the purpose of receiving letters of reference. 
  • Student graduated quite a while ago and wants to try graduate work. 
  • Student may not have the best GPA but wants to show they can do well in graduate work. 
  • Fun facts about graduate non-degree students: up to six credits of work taken while a non-degree student can be applied towards their degree program if they apply and are accepted as a degree student. 
  • The graduate school reviews non-degree applications and will admit anyone who applies with a GPA of 3.0 or better when they received their BS degree.  If the student has below a 3.0 they will ask the department review their file before admitting to graduate classes. 


Biomaterials Engineering