REGISTRATION IS CLOSED! NO ONSITE REGISTRATION WILL BE ACCEPTED!!
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics is pleased to host a one
day conference on Probability and Statistics on Saturday, April 28, 2007.
This will be a full day event with Keynote addresses by two prominent
statisticians. Plenary sessions, contributed sessions, and oral and
poster presentations by graduate students are also planned.
The main goal of this special day is to
promote scientific awareness in general and
discuss contemporary probabilistic and statistical issues in particular.
The conference is open to all local university faculty/grad students
as well as to statisticians employed in the government agencies
and private industries. Our experience has shown that this kind
of one day event provides an ideal forum for exchange of
novel ideas among the attendees, and benefits all those who attend
and actively participate.
For information, please contact the conference chair:
Dr. Bimal K. Sinha,
This webpage is maintained and hosted as a service
of the Center for Interdisciplinary Research and Consulting
- Local Organizing Committee:
Dr. Taeryon Choi, Dr. Junyong Park, Dr. Xiao Wang, Dr. Nagaraj Neerchal,
Dr. Anindya Roy, Dr. Thomas Mathew, Dr. Andrew Rukhin, Dr. Yi Huang,
Dr. Bimal Sinha
- Website support provided by: Prof. Matthias Gobbert, Bob Newton,
- Keynote Speakers:
- Professor Pranab Sen, Univesrity of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Professor David Banks, Duke University
- Plenary Session Speakers (confirmed):
- Professor Dulal Bhaumik, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Professor James Spall, Applied Physics Lab, Johns Hopkins University
- Professor Nabendu Pal, University of Louisiana
- Professor Reza Modarres, George Washington University
- Student Presentations:
A special feature of this conference will be graduate student oral and poster
presentations. Cash awards will be given to three best oral and three
best poster presenters. There will be several judges to evaluate the
oral and poster presentations.
Conference registration charges are to be
paid by check, payable to Department of Mathematics & Statistics, UMBC.
Registration fee is $30 per person to cover tea/coffee breaks and lunch.
- There will be a registration desk at the conference venue
beginning at 8:00 am on Saturday, April 28.
- Support for Graduate Students:
There will be funds to
support graduate students to attend this conference free of charge. This
should cover tea/coffee breaks and lunch. Preference will be given to
those graduate students who will make oral or poster presentations. If you
are interested in receiving financial support, please indicate it on your
- Conference Venue: ITE Building/UMBC, Rooms 102 and 104
- Conference Banquet: There will be a conference dinner on
Saturday evening. Dr. Barry Nussbaum, Chief Statistician at OEI/USEPA,
will be the featured after-dinner speaker.
- Support for this conference is provided by UMBC, NSA, Maryland
Chapter of ASA, and CIRC.