Activities & Scholarships
Economics and Administrative Sciences students are actively involved in two departmental organizations:
- Economics Council of Majors. The Economics Council of Majors brings Economics and Financial Economics students together for support in classes and school. The COM helps give students real world information that they can use in their careers and life through career information sessions, corporate visits, financial planning seminars, social events and the Annual Economics Awards Banquet. Officers are elected annually. For more information, please contact one of the officers. Officers for the 2011-2012 academic year are: Ryan Wentworth - President, Kevin Lui - Vice-President, Wendy Baeg - Treasurer, Brandan McGee - Secretary.
- Omicron Delta Epsilon. ODE is the international honor society for students of economics. It was established in 1963 as a result of a merger of Omicron International Delta Gamma, founded in 1915, and Omicron Chi Epsilon, founded in 1955. The UMBC chapter was chartered in 1972. The objectives of ODE are recognition of scholastic attainment, the promotion of closer ties between students and faculty within colleges and universities, and the publication of an official journal, The American Economist. ODE has more than 430 chapters around the world, with more than 10,000 active members. ODE membership requirements are:
- 48 credits overall at UMBC with at least a 3.0 GPA.
- 15 credits in Economics (not counting Accounting) with at least a 3.25 GPA.
The officers for 2011-2012 are: Talel Aissi- President, Richard Selzler - Vice-President, David Mugabo - Treasurer, Melanie Mervin - Secretary.
- The Accounting Club. The Accounting Club is a great way to learn about accounting and business related internships, to meet fellow classmates, and to get help in accounting and other classes.
This club is here to offer you great opportunities to learn and explore accounting, financial economics, and other finance topics and potential
The officers for 2011-2012 are: Mike Onyemelukwe- President, Kristopher Fisher - Vice-President, David Mugabo - Treasurer, Jamiely Saadulayev - Secretary.
These organizations offer students the opportunity to meet other students in their field, and also provide opportunities for students to interact with faculty members in informal settings outside the classroom.
Several scholarships and awards are available to students in Economics and Administrative Sciences:
- The Gerald Goldman Scholarship. Gerald Goldman was one of the first undergraduate students at UMBC. Unfortunately, he was unable to complete his program of study. During the summer of his senior year, Gerald suffered a tragic accident while working on a construction job. His family and friends decided that a memorial scholarship in his honor would provide an appropriate remembrance. The Gerald R. Goldman Scholarship Fund was established as an endowed fund in 1974, and in 1975 the first annual scholarship was awarded.
- The Omicron Delta Epsilon Scholarship. The Omicron Delta Epsilon Scholarship Fund was established by the members of the Epsilon of Maryland Chapter of Omicron Delta Epsilon in 1979. A scholarship has been awarded each year since 1982 to an outstanding economics student at UMBC.
- The Economics and Administrative Sciences Alumni Association Charles F. Peake Scholarship
- Additional Scholarships. In most years, generous alumni of the economics department or their families provide one year scholarships to outstanding students majoring in economics or in financial economics. The specific scholarships that will be available vary from year to year.
Applications for scholarships are made available to students in March each year. The call for applications is distributed to students each year, through e-mail and this web page. Winners of scholarships and awards are announced at the annual Economics Banquet held in the Spring, and funds are made available at the time Fall semester bills are due.
Each year, departmental awards are given in a number of categories:
- Outstanding Graduating Seniors in Economics, Finance, Management Science, Public Administration and Policy, MBA Preparatory Studies, and Personnel and Industrial Psychology
- Department Chairman's Award
- Distinguished Service in Economics Award
- Sorkin Recognition Award
These awards are presented at the annual Economics Honors Banquet.