How can I call home to let my family know I have arrived saftely?
- Skype - it is best when you already have your account set-up prior to your visit to ensure you have accessibility upon arrival.
- International Phone Card - you will need an international phone card to call your family from your residence hall.
- International Cell Phone - you will need to activate an account prior to your arrival.
Will I have computer access on campus?
You will have 24 hour wireless accessibility anywhere on campus for personal laptops. If you have an older laptop, you will need an internet cable. There are several locations on campus available for desktop internet use. All participants will be given UMBC internet access with username and password.
How do I access my E-Teacher course materials for the workshop when I no longer have access to the course?
Please contact your course instructor or contact Teresa Valais.
What percentage of the program is academic?
The academic program requires a professional level of commitment in order to develop the final project. There are, on average, ten three-hour workshops which usually occur in the morning schedule and project planning and development which follows in the afternoons. The final two days of the program will be the Professional Development Conference with all scholars presenting projects developed for implementation upon return.
Suggested Pre-departure Preparation
In order to develop an effective professional development plan, participants should come to UMBC with the following:
- Copy of your online E-Teacher final project - You may decide to expand this project for E-Teacher Professional Development Workshop project.
- Copy of all assignments from your online E-Teacher that are relevant to the development of a professional development plan - You may find your other assignments useful while analyzing your audience and context and creating your project design.
- Relevant readings and materials from your online E-Teacher course - You may find the content from your online course helpful when developing your project.
- Information about your local educational context - You may want to bring information about your educational institution or curriculum that could be relevant to your project.
Can the program be extended an additional week?
The program cannot be extended for more than three weeks.
Am I required to have medical insurance while staying in the US?
Your medical insurance during the program will be paid and you will have access to the health center on campus as well as local hospitals, if warranted. Please make sure to bring medications along with prescriptions that include your name and type of medication. Do not hesitate to ask for help with any medical needs you may have. Insurance cards will be administered upon arrival.
Can I come before the program or stay after the program ends?
You may stay in the US up to 30 days after the end of the program. All expenses outside of the program dates are paid by participants and insurance is MANDATORY. All participants must provide proof of prepaid insurance 30 days prior to the workshop program commencement. No exceptions or extensions will be given and the process of obtaining insurance is solely the responsibility of the participant.
You must purchase an insurance policy either in your home country or the United States that fulfills the following requirements:
- Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500
- Expenses associated with medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $10,000, and
- A deductible not to exceed $500
You would need to research policies available in your home country or in the United States that meet these very specific requirements. Suggested link from past participants: www.imglobal.com
What do I do if I have special dietary requirements?
Please communicate any dietary requirements you may have to Teresa Valais. Requirements could be health or religious in nature. We will consider your requirements and let you know if we can meet your needs or can suggest alternatives for you.
How can I find transportation off campus?
Your arrival packet will contain transportation information and bus schedules.
What kind of exercise facilities do you have?
You will have access to the UMBC recreation center, so please keep this in mind if you wish to work out, swimming and tennis included, while you are here. Feel free to take a look at our recreational facilities at www.umbcretrievers.com
Can I travel to visit a friend during the program?
During the 3-week program, participants are required to fully participate in all academic and cultural schedules. The daily program begins at 8:00 a.m. and continues until 5:00 p.m. Please note that cultural visits often require an extended time schedule.
Can a family member travel with me to the United States to attend the program?
This scholarship award is for the qualified participants who have earned their invitation to the 3-week professional development workshop. Family members will not be invited to travel with you at any time during the program. We cannot accommodate family requests.