- Apply for admission with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
- Create your myUMBC account and join UMBC's online community.
- View our Financing Your Education brochure for an overview of our financial aid process.
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online after January 1, but by February 14 for priority consideration of financial aid. Include our school code, 002105, and retain your confirmation page for your records.
- Once you have been admitted to UMBC you must upgrade your myUMBC account. Your upgraded account will allow you to set up your UMBC email. Please note that we will correspond with you exclusively through your UMBC email address so be sure to monitor it regularly.
- Financial Aid Award Notifications are sent beginning late March. You will be sent an electronic notification on myUMBC. If you just completed your FAFSA or were recently admitted to UMBC, you will be able to access your award notification 2-3 weeks after the date of submission of your FAFSA or the date you are admitted, whichever is later.
Viewing Your Financial Aid on myUMBC
- Students who submit their FAFSA after June 15th will only receive an award package after all required verification documents have been submitted and reviewed.
- UMBC has adopted the U.S. Department of Education's Shopping Sheet. You can view your Shopping Sheet via your myUMBC account when you view your financial aid package by using the link provided.
- Please review your 'To Do List' for missing documents. Failure to respond within the requested timeframe may reduce your financial aid funding.
- The awards listed on your initial Award Notification are based on full-time enrollment. If you plan to enroll for less than 12 credits, you must contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to discuss how part-time enrollment may affect your awards.
- Since privacy laws restrict information that can be disclosed regarding student records, you must submit the Authorization to Disclose Information form if your parent(s) or any other person will be contacting our office concerning your financial aid.
- Estimate your out-of-pocket expenses by comparing your financial aid awards to estimated tuition, fees, room and board charges located under the Cost tab.
One More Step...
- Apply for a loan if a combination of your grants, scholarships and personal contributions are not sufficient to cover your costs. Apply for loans by our priority deadline date - please visit Loans for additional information and to see final application deadline dates.
- Please note: in order to be eligible for Federal Direct Stafford Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) and the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan you must be enrolled in 6 or more credits.
- Review your e-bill through myUMBC using the Payments and Billing link.
- Pay your bill prior to the due date and avoid late fees.
UMBC's Late Fee Waiver Policy.
- Please note: federal financial aid cannot pay late fees. You can use money you received as a refund to pay these charges.
- Review the Book Loan policy to see if you are eligible.
- All students must meet financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards to maintain eligibility for financial aid awards. Students' academic progress will be evaluated annually.
- Continue to check your myUMBC for additional email requests, award revisions, and requested documents.
- If you plan to attend a summer session before your first fall semester, contact your financial aid counselor for additional information.
The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships has an appointment-based visitation schedule. You may call or stop in the office to receive information about the application process, the status of your awards or to drop off documents.
Inquiries surrounding eligibility or appeals will be directed to your assigned counselor who will schedule an appointment to discuss your questions. This personalized approach allows you to have one point of contact for your financial aid and scholarship inquiries. Please visit our Contact Us page to find your financial aid counselor's contact information.