Departments will submit the Candidate Eligibility Form online to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships.
- The list of candidates will be reviewed for eligibility to collect funding.
- The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships will email the Department contact person with the information within 2-4 business days.
The Department selects an eligible student to receive the award and completes the Award & Disbursement Request Form for all funding sources except the USM Foundation. For awards funded by the USM Foundation, complete the USM Foundation Disbursement Request Form. Checks from the Foundation should be made payable to UMBC (not the student). Please include the student's name in the business purposes section.
- If there are multiple awards, one form should be completed for each student.
- To avoid late fees on student accounts, please plan to submit your Department Scholarship Award and Request Forms before student bills are due to Student Business Services (which are often due before the start of the semester). Billing is updated on a monthly basis with bills due the 20th of each month. Students are responsible for paying their bills in full by their due date.
The completed form(s) will be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships for processing.
If the funding is from the USM Foundation, the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships will forward the signed and verified forms to the USM Foundation for processing.
The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships will post the award directly to the student's account. The funds will be debited from the Department's scholarship expense chartstring.
- Fund: 1113 Department: 1xxxx (depending on the department code) Progfin: 171 Account: 7129900 Proj Bus Unit: UMBC1 Project: 00005145 Activity ID: MAIN Res Type: FelSc Analysis Type: GLE
If the funding is from the USM Foundation, be sure to deposit the funds using the UMBC Office of the Cashier Foundation Deposit Transmittal.
If the funding is coming from a different source, the department must transfer funds timely via a journal entry. Scholarship expense (7129900) should be debited in the funding source and credited to the chartstring given above.
One More Step
The Department will send the student the award notification letter that includes:
- Amount of funding and semester(s) of award.
- If there is a donor for the award: