UMBC's diverse landscape of lawns, plazas, gardens, forests, ponds, streams, a dam, and athletic and recreation fields requires regular and thoughtful maintenance. Our certified arborists, horticulturist, and pesticide applicators partner with outside contractors to provide comprehensive maintenance of the campus' 512 acres.
Our landscape specialists are dedicated to maintaining a safe, attractive and environmentally respectful landscape for students, employees and visitors in support of the UMBC mission. In 2009, our Landscape and Grounds staff was recognized for their excellent work, winning the National Honor Award from the Professional Grounds Management Society.
Our grounds maintenance staff provides technical support and professional guidance to capital planning and construction projects. The staff reviews designs and construction documents, and works closely with the Campus Landscape Architect.
Some activities regularly initiated by grounds maintenance staff:
- Campus beautification, including the planting of new trees and shrubs, pruning and renovating existing gardens, as well as installing and maintaining new perennial and annual garden beds
- Maintaining greenhouses that produce over 10,000 annuals each year
- Irrigation of newly planted trees and beds
- Repair of hardscapes and turf areas after damage from storms and other activities
- Solid waste disposal and recycling contract management
- Partnering with Student Affairs to sponsor campus sustainability and recycling awareness events, including UMBC RecycleMania
- Providing personnel and equipment for campus emergencies, including snow and ice removal, tree removal, and storm damage
- Developing a GIS application to identify and monitor an inventory of over 3,000 campus trees