Graduate Assistantships

Graduate Assistantships General Information

Graduate assistantships are available to qualified full-time, degree-seeking students who are making satisfactory progress toward their degree. In each Summer, Fall, or Spring semester in which a student holds an appointment, he or she has the option to register for the correct Graduate Assistantship Course

Detailed information about assistantships and their titles, responsibilities, and benefits is available in the Graduate Assistant Handbook.

Applications for teaching and research assistantships should be made directly to the program in which you are studying. Applications for other assistantships should be made to the sponsoring office.

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must annually complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)as a part of your application for an assistantship.

Minimum Stipend Levels for Graduate Assistants.

Students may address questions about graduate assistantships or tuition remission to the UMBC Graduate School. Additionally, students can contact the UMBC Graduate School by telephone at (410) 455-1522.

Graduate Assistantship Forms

Funding for Graduate Assistant Research and Travel

The Graduate Student Association (GSA) provides funds to assist graduate students in the development, conduct, and presentation of their research.

Fellowships and Financial Aid

External and Internal Fellowships

The PROMISE website has information about grants and other fellowship opportunities.

The UMBC Center for Women and Information Technology maintains a listing of information about funding opportunities for female students.

UMBC offers a limited number of Dissertation Fellowships to students who have reached candidacy.

UMBC also works with student engaged in the Meyerhoff Graduate Fellows Program and other external fellowships.

Financial Aid

Information about federally-subsidized and unsubsidized loans, the federal work-study program, and other forms of need-based assistance is available from the UMBC Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. U.S. citizens and permanent residents who wish to apply for financial assistance must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Many websites exist that provide information on the major graduate fellowships. Learn more about these excellent sources of funding information.

More Detailed Financial Information

For more details about financing your graduate studies, contact the program to which you are applying or in which you are already enrolled. You can also find more detailed information in the Graduate School Catalog.

Part-time on-campus and off-campus jobs are posted in the Office of Career Development and Placement.