Admission Policies

Responsibility for admission to graduate study at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) resides with the Office of the Dean of the Graduate School. In determining the admissibility of applicants, the Office of the Dean of the Graduate School and Vice President for Graduate Education regularly seeks the advice of the academic departmentsí graduate admission committees or graduate program directors. In all cases, UMBC administers its admissions, educational services and supporting services in a manner that does not discriminate by race, religion, age, national origin, sexual orientation, sex or handicap.

General Criteria and Standards

Grade Point Average (GPA)

The minimum standard for full admission to the Graduate School is a ďBĒ average, or 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, in a program of study resulting in the award of a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university or an equivalent degree from a comparable foreign institution. In addition, the studentís undergraduate program must reflect successful completion of the prerequisites for graduate study in the chosen field. Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended must be submitted to the Graduate School as part of the application packet.

Students unable to meet the minimum standards may still be admitted to graduate study by demonstrating outstanding performance on one or more of the graduate aptitude tests or by providing letters of recommendation from competent judges of the applicant's performance as a student or in a professional capacity. To remain in good standing, minimum grade requirements must be met.

Standards for admission to a doctoral program are generally higher than those for admission to a masterís program. The terms of this admission are based on specific recommendations made by the applicantís department in conjunction with the Graduate School.

Standardized Tests

In many programs, UMBC requires the submission of scores earned on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Aptitude test (verbal, quantitative and analytical writing scores) for admission to graduate programs. Some programs also may require applicants to submit scores earned on the GRE Advanced (subject-specifc) test or other standardized tests. Consult the program description in this catalog to determine which examination is required for admission. GRE scores are used as part of the data on which admission decisions are based, but they are seldom the sole criterion for admission. The GRE requirement occasionally is waived for petitioning applicants, for example, mid-career students whose undergraduate experience is not recent or is distinct from the graduate field of interest. For more information on these standardized tests, contact: Graduate Record Examinations, Educational Testing Service, 1-866-473-4373 (citizens of United States and Canada) or 1-609-771-7670 (other countries) or visit the Web site at

Note: The GRE code number for UMBC is 5835. Examination scores should be sent directly to the Graduate School. The GRE must have been taken within five years of matriculation to be valid.

Language Requirements

All applicants are expected to read, speak, write and understand the English language fluently upon entering a graduate program. Applicants whose native language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). International applicants with a post-secondary degree from a U.S. institution will not be required to take the TOEFL. The minimum acceptable TOEFL score established by the university for admission into all programs is 550 for the paper-based test and 213 for the computer- based test; some programs require a higher score. TOEFL information and applications are available from TOEFL, Educational Testing Service ( at 1-877- 863-3546 (citizens of the United States and Canada) or 1-609-771-7100 (other countries).

Note: Applicants must request that an official copy of the TOEFL test scores be sent directly to the UMBC Graduate School by ETS. The TOEFL must have been taken within two years of matriculation to be valid.

In addition to the TOEFL score, UMBC is now accepting IELTS scores. The minimum score required on the IELTS is 6.5.

Applicants receiving a teaching assistantship (TA) will be required to attend a TA workshop, and international students will take a test in spoken English upon arrival at UMBC. If performance on the English test is not satisfactory, students will be required during the first semester to take a reduced number of courses offered by their programs and to take instead up to 10 hours per week of non-credit instruction in spoken English. Students will be charged for this instruction.

Program-Specific Requirements

In addition to official transcripts, test scores and three letters of recommendation as evidence of academic potential, some programs require additional evidence of ability to succeed in the respective graduate program. These assessment tools may include a portfolio, an interview or other assessment means. Applicants are encouraged to review the program descriptions in this catalog and on the programís Web site for complete requirements.

Categories of Admission

Applicants may be offered admission to the Graduate School in any of the following categories:

Degree-Seeking Students

Full Graduate Status
Students admitted to full graduate status must have submitted official documents indicating a completed baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution (or an equivalent foreign educational institution) and be fully qualified in the judgment of the individual program and the Graduate School.

Provisional Graduate Status
Provisional admission is used to admit any degree-seeking student who fails to meet a Graduate School requirement for full graduate status at the time of admission. Students may be admitted as degree-seeking with provisional status for the following reasons:

  • A student admitted before completion of the baccalaureate degree; or
  • A student who has submitted certain incomplete documentation. This provision is applied when preliminary review of the studentís application indicates the student should be admitted, but because of lack of certain information such as offcial college transcripts showing receipt of a degree, a full offer of admission cannot be made. Receipt of all information must be submitted as soon as possible according to the stated provision. Upon attainment of the specifc requiremetnt and receipt of all required credentials, full graduate status will be granted. Full status will be granted to students admitted provisionally with lower than 3.0 GPA upon attainment of a grade of ďBĒ or better in each course in the frst semester of full-time study or nine credits of part-time study.

Degree students must be continually enrolled throughout their pursuit of the degree; failure to register for a course, research credit or leave of absence every fall and spring semester will interrupt the studentís registration eligibility. To become eligible to register again, the student must request re-entry into the program and permission to register. This request must be made in writing to the Graduate School.

Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Students

Applicants are admitted to post-baccalaureate certificate programs as either degree or certificate-only students. They typically desire an added credential to enhance employment or career advancement opportunities. A student may be enrolled concurrently in a certificate and a degree program, and the certificate and degree programs do not need to be offered by the same department. Admissions criteria are determined by each graduate program offering a certificate. Applicants should complete the certificate application form if they are interested in obtaining only a certificate and not a degree. The degree-seeking form should be completed (with both the desired certificate and program indicated) if the applicant is interested in both the certificate and degree. Applicants for admission to certificate status must satisfy one of the following criteria:

  1. Hold a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution with an overall ďBĒ (3.0) average; or
  2. Hold a masterís or doctoral degree from a regionally accredited institution; or
  3. Hold a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution and have at least four years of successful post-baccalaureate work or professional experience.

Post-baccalaureate certificates at UMBC have been approved by the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) and are offered under the auspices of several academic departments. The chapter on post-baccalaureate certificates lists the current certificate programs, most of which consist of four courses. Many students admitted to a certificate program use it as a stepping stone to applying to a degree program. The number of credits that may be applied toward a masterís degree is determined by the graduate program.

Certificate students must be continually enrolled; failure to register for at least one course in every academic-year semester (both fall and spring) will interrupt the studentís registration eligibility. To become eligible to register again, the student must request re-entry and permission to register. This request must be made in writing to the Graduate School.

Students enrolled in MHEC-approved post-baccalaureate certificate programs are eligible for financial aid if they are enrolled at least half-time and are either U.S. citizens or permanent residents. A 3.0 GPA must be maintained; failure to do so may result in probation or dismissal from the Graduate School.

Non-Degree Students

The non-degree status is designed for students seeking admission for the purpose of enhancing their knowledge by completing one or more graduate courses. It is not intended to be used as a qualifying program for full degree status at UMBC. While consideration may be given at a later date to the application of credits earned toward a degree program while in a non-degree status, there is no assurance that such requests will be granted. If such a request is granted, however, no more than six credit hours may be transferred to a graduate degree program.

Applicants for admission to non-degree status must satisfy one of the following criteria:

  1. Hold a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution with an overall ďBĒ (3.0) average; or
  2. Hold a masterís or doctoral degree from a regionally accredited institution; or
  3. Hold a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution and have at least four years of successful post-baccalaureate work or professional experience.

Examples of applicants who may seek non-degree status are:

  • Persons who hold an advanced degree who wish to take graduate courses for personal or professional enrichment in their field or in another area of specialization related to their field
  • Teachers and other professionals who wish to participate in summer (or other) institutes that include courses offering graduate credit
  • Visiting students in good standing as graduate students at another institution
  • University of Maryland employees who hold a bachelorís degree and wish to gain greater knowledge in the area of competence in which they are employed

Non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid, fellowships or appointments as graduate teaching or research assistants, nor are they eligible for student health insurance. Other services, such as parking and library privileges, are the same as those accorded to other graduate students.

Students who register as undergraduate special students to take 400-level and higher courses do not receive graduate credit for these courses, and these courses are not applicable toward a graduate degree. Teachers in Maryland school systems may, however, take the 400-level and higher courses that were taken as an undergraduate special student, however, to satisfy certification requirements.

A non-degree student may be considered active for up to five years from the semester of first enrollment; however, failure to register for at least one course in consecutive academic-year semesters (fall and spring) will interrupt the studentís registration eligibility. To become eligible to register again, the student must request re-entry and permission to register. This request must be made in writing to the Graduate School.

Returning Graduate Alumni
Alumni of the Graduate School who wish to enroll as either non-degree students or in one of the post-baccalaureate certificate programs should complete a non-degree or certificate application. A returning student who has been gone from UMBC for less than five years does not need to pay an application fee.

Graduates of UMBCís doctoral programs who wish to take additional coursework should refer to the Ph.D. Plus section in the Enrollment and Registration Policies chapter.

Summer and In-Service Institutes
Applications for admission to summer and in-service institutes should be made directly to the director of that particular institute. For institutes that require graduate-level courses, students admitted to the institute will be admitted to the Graduate School as non-degree students according to the procedures discussed in this section.

Visiting Students
Students enrolled as degree-seeking candidates at other graduate schools who wish to enroll for a single semester at UMBC, and who intend thereafter to return to the graduate school in which they are enrolled, may be admitted with a non-degree graduate status as visiting students. In addition to the application materials described below, visiting students must provide written certification from their respective graduate dean that they are in good academic standing. This certification must accompany the application form.

Other Admission Programs

Division of Professional Studies
UMBCís Division of Professional Studies and the UMBC Training Centers also offers a wide range of credit and noncredit courses for professionals interested in upgrading skills and professional development. For more information, contact the Division of Professional Studies (410-455-2336 or or the Training Centers (443-692-6600 or

Accelerated Bachelorís/Masterís Programs
Students interested in pursuing an accelerated bachelorís/masterís degree program should make their intentions known to the appropriate graduate program director. This is usually done early in the junior year, although some programs allow earlier admission. Completion of the Accelerated Bachelorís/Masterís Program application form is required at that time; the form is available on the Graduate School Web site.

An undergraduate may apply to participate in an accelerated program even if the desired graduate program is in a department other than the one in which the student is majoring.

A major advantage of this program is that it enables the student to double count up to nine credits toward both the bachelorís and masterís degrees. If admitted, the student follows a prescribed course of study in which a maximum of nine credits at the 600 level or higher may be taken as an undergraduate and counted later toward the masterís degree. They may be enrolled on either a part-time or full-time basis.

Students must apply and be admitted to the Graduate School at least one semester prior to the completion of bachelorís degree requirements. There will be no retroactive admissions to the program once the student has received the bachelorís degree.

The bachelorís degree may be awarded after successful completion of bachelorís degree requirements (usually at least 120 credits); masterís degree requirements depend upon the individual program, but a minimum of 141 total credits is required for both degrees.

This program is selective. Students must have at least a 3.0 GPA to be considered, and some programs have more stringent requirements. The Graduate Record Examination usually is waived for applicants in this program; some graduate programs also waive other application requirements (e.g. letters of recommendation). If admitted, students must develop a plan of study for the remainder of their undergraduate career with the graduate program director. Students in these accelerated tracks must continue to be in good academic standing throughout the course of their studies.

A student admitted to the program may be allowed to take a break between the bachelorís and masterís careers, but the graduate courses taken as an undergraduate must be ďusedĒ toward the masterís degree within five years.

Once students are admitted to Graduate School and are enrolled, they must complete a Transfer of Credit form to transfer up to nine graduate credits taken as an undergraduate into the masterís program. Note that only the credits are transferred, not the grade received.

No more than one masterís degree may be earned through a combined bachelorís/ masterís degree program.

English Language Program
On an individual basis, UMBC may be able to accommodate applicants whose TOEFL scores fall below the minimum requirements. If a student is otherwise admissible, conditional admission, requiring completion of some English as a second language courses through the English Language Institute (ELI), may be offered. Applicants with TOEFL scores below 80 on the Internet based, 213 on the computer based, and 550 on the paper based test will be eligible for consideration as a conditionally admitted graduate school student.

Conditional Admission
Students with conditional admission to the graduate school will be required to enroll at the English Language Institute (ELI) during their first semester at UMBC in order to meet the language requirements necessary for them to be successful in their graduate program. Students will be placed in appropriate classes based on a placement test given upon arrival. Upon successful completion of ELI level 5 courses (ELI 051, 052, 053, and 054), students will begin taking graduate courses while completing ELI level 6 courses. After successful completion of ELI Level 6 courses (061/071 and 063/073), students will enroll as full time graduate students, and the TOEFL score will not be required.

Golden ID Program
The Golden ID program permits Maryland residents 60 years of age and older to take graduate courses at little cost. The applicant must be at least 60 years old by the date of registration and retired or working no more than 20 hours a week to qualify for Golden ID status that semester. Qualified individuals may apply as degree-seeking, post-baccalaureate certificate or non-degree- seeking students. To apply, follow the same instructions for degree, certificate and non-degree applicants. The applicant must note on the application form that the Golden ID status is being requested. Golden ID students will be responsible for paying some fees; tuition is waived.

International Applicants

It can take many weeks to complete the processing and assessment of an application from another country and at least two months (sometimes longer) for student visa processing. International applicants, therefore, are encouraged to pay strict attention to application deadline dates and to submit all required documents as early as possible. International student applications are reviewed by graduate admissions for comparability with U.S. credentials, and some applicants may be requested to have a credentials evaluation performed by an outside agency.

In addition to meeting the general requirements outlined under General Criteria and Standards, international applicants must subscribe to the admission and immigration guidelines that follow. Beginning September 1, 2013, the UMBC Graduate School will accept official WES ICAP Course-by-Course evaluations as fulfillment of the requirement for official transcripts in the admissions process. The WES ICAP Course-by-Course evaluation includes copies of the official transcripts and degree certificates that have been verified by WES, and it includes a course-by-course evaluation. The evaluation must be sent directly from WES to the UMBC Graduate School in order to be considered official.

At minimum, applicants must hold a degree that is equivalent or comparable to a four-year United States bachelorís degree, and they must have a cumulative grade point average equivalent to a ďBĒ or the first or high second division or comparable class ranking to be considered for admission.

Provisional graduate status and non-degree status are not normally available to international students. Non-U.S. citizens residing in the United States who hold permanent residency status, meet the required language proficiency and possess appropriate academic preparation may be considered for non-degree status.

Transcripts/Mark Sheets

Applicants must provide an official English language transcript and an official native language transcript or mark sheets from each post-secondary institution attended. Each set of documents must list subjects studied, grades or marks received and rank in class or division.

Language Requirements

See the Language Requirements section on page 10 (above) for information about language proficiency required of students whose native language is not English.

Immigration Documents

International students should enter the United States in the appropriate immigration status. For graduate students, this is almost always F-1. Students should receive an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility from the UMBC International Education Services (IES) office. This form will be used to request the F-1 visa from a U.S. embassy or consulate. A student planning to attend UMBC should not use another schoolís I-20 to enter the United States.

It is difficult to change from B1/B2 visitor status to F-1 student status. Moreover, registering for a full course of study in a degree program is considered a violation of status for those in B1/B2 status. Therefore, international students are advised not to enter the United States in B1/B2 status. If you are uncertain whether you will study in the United States, you should tell the consular officer when you apply for the visa that you are a prospective student and ask that your visa is marked appropriately. F-1 students already studying in the United States who wish to transfer to UMBC must follow proper F-1 transfer procedures. Contact the IES office at for more information.

It is possible to bring members of your immediate family (spouse and/or children) to join you during your studies. They should apply for F-2 dependent visas. Those in F-2 status are not allowed to work or pursue post-secondary degrees. For information on how to bring your family members, please write to

Financial Resources

International applicants must certify that they have sufficient funds (exclusive of travel expenses) for university tuition, fees, books, supplies and living expenses. No student will be issued the appropriate immigration documents without proof of adequate financial resources. Students in F-1 or J-1 status cannot expect to work off-campus to supplement their financial ability, as work authorization is quite limited.

For those with assistantships, a full assistantship will be sufficient evidence required for the I-20. Partial assistantships will need to be supplemented by other sources of funding. Please note that all students in F-1 and J-1 status, except those awarded graduate assistantships, will be billed automatically for UMBCís international student health insurance plan.

Documents acceptable for certifying financial support include:

  • Notarized letters from sponsors indicating their willingness to support you, accompanied by their original bank documents verifying that sufficient funds are available
  • Official notification of grant, loan or scholarship indicating name and address of the awarding institution, amount of funds, extent of expenses covered and length of time the award will last
  • Original current bank statements in your name verifying that sufficient personal funds are available

Please note that bank statements should be no more than three months old. It is best to send such statements AFTER you have been admitted to be sure they are current. If you defer your admission to a later semester, fresh documents will be required before immigration papers can be reissued. Questions regarding financial eligibility should be directed to the IES office at

Health Insurance Requirement

See the University Health Services section in the Student Services chapter for information about health insurance requirements for international students.

Financial Aid

A limited number of teaching assistantships (TAs) and research assistantships (RAs) are available in most graduate departments. Departments should be contacted directly for information on how to apply and the chances of receiving an assistantship. See the Financial Information chapter for more information.

Reporting Upon Arrival

It is very important that all new students report to the IES office as soon as possible after arrival. This office will assist with various immigration matters, such as informing the immigration officials that you have arrived and registering you in the SEVIS system. Failure to do so could be considered a violation of status and lead to the premature end of your studies.

Admission Application Procedures

Applications for admission to any graduate program at UMBC must be submitted directly to: UMBC, Graduate School, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250. Applications also may be submitted online at Online applications are strongly encouraged. Application forms are also available on the UMBC Web site, or they may be requested from the Graduate School office.

Note: Do NOT send duplicate applications for the same program. For example, if you submit an online application, do not mail in a paper application. Paperclips may be used to bind together application materials, but please DO NOT use staples, brads, paste, glue or binder folders in preparing the materials.

Admission to graduate programs is highly competitive; therefore, all applicants are urged to submit accurate and complete credentials directly to the Graduate School and to adhere to the deadline dates that follow. Supplementary transcripts of work in progress at the time of application should be submitted as soon as available. Delays in the receipt of academic credentials could cause delays in the review process for admission.

Application Deadlines (See also the Special Deadline section that follows)

Degree-Seeking Applicants

  • U.S. citizens and U.S.-educated permanent residents: fall semesteróJune 1; spring semesteróNovember 1
  • International students and permanent residents who are attending or have attended a foreign school: fall semesteróJanuary 1; spring semesteróMay 1 of the previous academic year

Certificate and Non-Degree Applicants
Applications will be received until one week before the first day of classes in August (for fall semester) and January (for spring semester).

Special Deadlines
Many programs have deadline dates earlier than those above; applicants should consult the Graduate Schoolís or the programís Web site for special deadlines and requirements. Because many programs make admission and funding decisions several months before June 1, it is to the applicantís advantage to apply as soon as possible. Also, it is the studentís responsibility to see that all application materials are sent to the Graduate School.

Applicants may not seek deferral for the term for which they have applied more than once without completing a new application and submitting an additional application fee.

Applying for Admission as a Degree-Seeking Student

All application materials must be submitted directly to the Graduate School including:

  • The completed application form.
  • The required non-refundable application fee. No application will be processed or reviewed before the fee is paid. Application fees for the following applicants are automatically waived: McNair Scholars, Project 1000 students, current Peace Corps volunteers, Graduate Horizons participants, UMBC staff and UMBC students admitted to the Accelerated Bachelorís/Masterís Program. The application fee cannot be waived or deferred for other applicants.
  • The residency form. Applicants seeking classification as a Maryland resident for tuition and charge-differential purposes must complete this residency form. See Determination of Residency for Tuition Purposes section in the Financial Information chapter.
  • One official copy of each academic transcript, which includes all undergraduate and graduate work. Each transcript should bear the signature of the registrar and the seal of the granting institution and should include the years of attendance; courses taken; grades received; class standing; and the degree, diploma or certificate conferred. To facilitate the processing of an application, applicants may attach an unofficial copy of transcripts and test scores with the application. Although photocopies of credentials are acceptable for initial reviews, full admission status cannot be granted, nor will any degree be awarded, until the Graduate School has received official copies of all academic credentials.
  • GRE scores. Official scores earned on the GRE must be sent directly from ETS to the Graduate School. See Standardized Tests section on page 10 (above).
  • Letters of recommendation. Applicants should submit three letters of recommendation from professors or others who can assess the quality of their academic performance and scholastic potential. It is important that the recommender indicate the applicantís full name, semester and the program to which he or she is applying.
  • Statement of goals and objectives. Each application for graduate study at UMBC must be accompanied by a 300- to 500- word statement of the applicantís goals and objectives in pursuing graduate study.
  • Program-specific requirements. Some programs require additional information, such as a portfolio or other supplementary materials. For information concerning additional admission requirements, it is important that applicants refer first to the Graduate School or the program Web site and then, if necessary, contact the program to which they are applying. Failure to do so may result in an applicationís not being considered.

Applying for Admission as a Certificate or Non-Degree Student

Specific instructions for completing a certificate or non-degree application are outlined on the application form. Forms are available from the Graduate School and on its Web site. An original or photocopy of the transcript certifying the completion of the baccalaureate degree must accompany the application form.

Some departments require non-degree students to obtain the consent of the instructor or graduate program director to take courses. Before submitting a non-degree application, applicants should refer to the individual program descriptions and the Schedule of Classes on the Web site for information on possible course restrictions and the need to obtain a signature from a departmental representative.

A non-refundable application fee must accompany the application with academic documents or written certification as required.

GRE scores and letters of recommendation are not needed.

Student Identification Numbers

Social Security numbers are required for applicants seeking fnancial assistance or who expect a refund at some point in their academic career. Otherwise, a social security number is not required at the time of application to the university.

Inquiries Regarding Application Status

Applicants wishing to know about the status of their application should contact the graduate program to which they have applied. Inquirers will be asked to verify their identity. Applicants who wish to allow inquiries to be made on their behalf by a friend or family member must send the Graduate School a letter (by paper or electronic mail) naming the person(s) authorized to receive such information. Persons other than the applicant inquiring about the applicantís status or file will not be given such information unless this written authorization has been submitted by the applicant. During December and January, it can take approximately eight to 10 weeks to receive and match all documents to their appropriate files. Applicants are requested not to contact the graduate program or Graduate School during this time frame, as they will not be able to respond accurately to inquiries regarding the receipt of application materials.

Offers of Admission

Offers of admission are made by the Office of Graduate Enrollment on behalf of the dean of the Graduate School and specify the time of entrance. The offer of admission requires a response. If the applicant wishes to accept, decline or change the effective date of the offer, for one semester or one year, the Graduate School must be notified in writing, or the offer of admission becomes void. Failure to notify the Graduate School before the first day of class or failure to register for the authorized term voids the offer of admission. The applicant then must submit a written request to be considered for a subsequent semester, and additional credentials may be requested. Students who accept the offer of admission and enroll agree to abide by the rules and regulations of the University System of Maryland and the laws of the state of Maryland and the U.S. government.

Change of Objective, Termination of Admission, Re-Admission

Students are admitted only to a specified program and within that program only for the specified objective, e.g., course work only, post-baccalaureate certificate, masterís degree, doctoral degree. Students who have been offered admission into more than one program for the same term must notify the Graduate School of their choice. When the offer of admission to one admission to other programs will be terminated because it is expected that a student will be registered in only one program at a time. Simultaneous enrollment in more than one program may be allowed upon written approval of both academic programs. Failure to formally accept an offer of admission into a single program will result in a registration delay. The studentís matriculation terminates when the original objective has been attained; for example, when a student who is admitted for the masterís degree completes the requirements for that degree. If the student wishes to continue for the doctorate in the same program, the student must submit a new letter of intent for the doctoral program within the usual deadline dates. Admission to the doctoral program is not automatic and is subject to the same review process applied to others seeking admission to that program.

The studentís matriculation also terminates when time limits have been exceeded or when other conditions for the continuation of matriculation have been met. The matriculation of all students, both degree and non-degree, is continued at the discretion of the major professor, the program director and the dean of the Graduate School.

Students must maintain an average grade of ďBĒ or better in all graduate courses and otherwise must satisfy all departmental and graduate program requirements. Admitted students may request to defer their enrollment up to one academic year upon approval from the department and the Graduate School. For example, students offered admission for fall 2007 may defer their enrollment to fall 2008 if approved (deferral is not automatic). If a student cannot or does not enroll within this time frame, a new application process must be initiated, including a new application form, application fee, academic documents, and updated language and financial documents. The applicant must compete with the next entering class. Offers of graduate assistantships do not automatically get deferred if the admission is deferred; applicants should check with the program as to whether assistantship offers also will be deferred.

Maintenance and Disposition of Records

All records, including academic records from other institutions, become part of the studentís official file and property of the university.

Credentials of applicants who do not register for courses for the term for which they have been admitted, whose applications have been disapproved, who do not respond to requests for additional information, or whose applications are not complete with respect to the receipt of all transcripts or test results are retained for only one academic year.