When considering establishing a new position, Classification/Compensation staff work with managers to consider the following factors:
- Department Organizational Structure: review of current position allocation and reporting
hierarchy in the department, as well as the Division.
- Type of Position: determine status of position based upon department needs and
whether full-time vs. part time, or regular vs. temporary status is required.
- Nature of Duties: gauge level of decision-making authority; are anticipated duties
exempt, non-exempt or academic, and the impact on existing positions in the
- Budget Impact: determine source of funding as well as impact on department, division
and university and if position will add to overall FTE count now or in the future.
Steps for Requesting a New Position
To request a new position, a Classification Action Request Form (CAR) must be completed and submitted to the HR Classification Unit. To obtain information required for completing the CAR form, use the following steps:
- Review vacant position report to ensure no existing positions are available.
- Use UMBC Title Code Listing to identify appropriate payroll title.
- Identify Combination Code (funding source) using PS navigation: Payroll for North America>Payroll Distribution> Commitment Accounting USA>UMBC Valid Combo Table.
A Position Description and updated department organization chart must accompany the CAR Form for Regular and Contingent II position requests.