Non-Resident Alien (NRA) employee's are required to complete specific paperwork when they are hired and during the renewal period at the end of each year for the following calendar year.
- Renewed annually by anyone who is not a US Citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident
- Forms must be completed & accurate or they will be returned
- Citizenship Status form must be completed to determine the federal income withholding status.
- Affidavit of Compliance is required for NRA's without a valid social security number (SSN)
- NRA must have a valid SSN in order to receive treaty exemptions
- W-4 form must have the original signature in dark ink with no mistakes
- Tax treaty exemption is for federal tax ONLY
- There is no Maryland state tax treaty exemption. (Employee may be exempt if residing in Pennsylvania, Virginia or DC.)
- Review the Required Supporting Documents by NRA Classification Chart to determine what supporting documentation is required
- Review the Required Tax Forms by NRA Classification Chart to determine the required tax forms
(Review the Reference Guide for more details)
Non-Resident Alien Scholarships
Athletic & Financial Aid ONLY
Required for NRA Scholarships that are above tuition, fees, books and supplies.