UMBC logo

Social Security

Social Security numbers are government issued numbers required in order to receive payment for work done in the US. The Social Security Administration will only issue Social Security numbers to F-1 or J-1 students if they have either a job or a job offer. Once you have a job offer, you are eligible to apply. Please review the information in the link below to learn how to apply, what's required, and where to go.

Students new to UMBC, please note -- your UMBC immigration record must be activated before you visit the Social Security Administration office to apply. If this is your first semester at UMBC, or your first semester in a new program, such as a change from Master's to PhD or ELI to Bachelors, please check with the IES office before visiting the Social Security office to make sure your record is activated. You will also need a letter from the IES office, more details are in the information below.

Link to learn more about applying for Social Security: Social Security Application Information

Directions via public transportation to the Benson Avenue Social Security Administration Office (the closest to campus):

Take the MTA 35 bus from campus, East-bound. The cost as of September 2012 is $1.60 per trip, and requires exact change on the bus.
Get off of the bus at the Wilkens Avenue and Pine Heights Avenue stop
Turn onto Pine Heights Avenue (the St. Agnes hospital complex will be on your left) and walk straight, about 1/2 mile
Pine Heights Avenue ends at Benson Avenue. Turn left onto Benson Avenue, the Social Security Office is at 3431 Benson Avenue, suite C
** When returning to UMBC, walk back to the same bus stop, but be sure to cross Wilkens Avenue to catch the returning bus (westbound)
back to UMBC, to avoid having to ride the full bus route! Please note you will need exact change for BOTH bus trips.

Link for more detailed information:

International Education Services
224 Administration Bldg.
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250
Tel:  +1.410.455-2624
Fax: +1.410.455-1130