My proposed degree program incorporates five main threads that support my long range goals: African immigration patterns and causes; African immigrant communities; Educational policy; the politics of Advocacy; and Education and Child Development. With this program I will:
1. Gain a broader understating of the economic, political and social forces that drive African emigration to the U.S.
- GOVT 211: Pol. Econ. Dev. 3rd World
- INDS 430: Global Migration Seminar
2. Develop insight into the social and economic realities that African immigrant families face in the U.S.
- ANTH 304: Kin, Community & Ethnicity
- SOCY 204: Diversity & Pluralism
- SOCY 321: Race & Ethnic Relations
- MLL 306: Intercultural Communication: Confronting Immigrant and Heritage Communities
3. Understand the relationship between Education Policy and Immigrants.
- AMST 452: Evaluating Educational Policy and Culture
- POLI 445: Law, Politics and American Education
- HIST 447: History of Civil Rights
4. Develop an understanding of how advocacy works at every level in the community.
- POLI 327: Interest Groups and Lobbyists
- INDS 410: Interdisciplinary Studies Internship
- INDS 490: Capstone Project
5. Acquire a solid foundation in Education and Child Development.
- EDUC 310: Foundations of Education
- EDUC 311: Psychological Foundations of Education
- EDUC 312: Analysis of Teaching and Learning
- PSYC 203: Human Growth and Development
- PSYC 210: Psychology of Learning
- PSYC 330: Child Development and Culture