International and Global Studies
In order to achieve my career goals of improving health in an international arena, I will study multiple disciplines addressing economic development, political stability, historical context, sociological significance, and more, all in an effort to fully understand how these impact the health of a geographical area. I will reach the following learning objectives:
1. Research differences in health care around the world and understand how culture affects the health population.
- HAPP 398: Global Implications of Health and Diseases
- SOCY 352: Issues in Health Care
2. Investigate how social constructs (family tradition, societal norms, education practices, etc) can affect health.
- SOCY 354: Social Basis of Public Community Health
- SOCY 420: Social Epidemiology
- SOCY 451: Sociology of Health and Illness Behavior
3. Analyze the current international political situation and how it may affect the developing world.
- POLI 260: Comparative Politics
- POLI 280: International Relations
- POLI 385: International Security
- POLI 452: Politics of Health
- POLI 409: Politics of Human Rights
- ECON 385: Economic Development
- ECON 280: International Economy
- HIST 200: World History in the 20th Century
4. To understand the unique history of Africa and its current situation politically as well as economically that affects the health of its population.
- AFST 211: Introduction to Contemporary Africa
- AFST 469: Democratization in Sub- Saharan Africa
- AFST 430: Health Care in Africa