Part-Time Instructional Systems Design Intern
Position No: 1001 FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Grade: EEO Category/Job Group: E/502
The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine (HJF) is seeking a Part-Time Instructional Systems Design for a paid internship to support the Defense and Veterans Center for Integrative Pain Management (DVCIPM) located in Rockville, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to DVCIPM. DVCIPM is charged to develop consensus recommendations for the U.S. Armed Forces, Military Health System, and Veterans Health Administration (VHA) integrated pain management communities for improvements in pain medicine policies, practice, education, and research.
Under the supervision of a Sr. Instructional Designer, the selected intern will support the design and development of learning product/s for the Joint Incentive Fund Pain Education Project. The JPEP is tasked with developing, disseminating, and integrating common core DoD/VHA pain management education and training curriculum/strategy for expanded pain care teams. The ISD Intern will design products for a variety of delivery formats that may include synchronous/asynchronous courses and instructor-led/self directed learning using a project plan with milestones, dependencies, and key deliverables. Additional responsibilities will include participating in workgroup calls by maintaining the status and progress of all deliverables, providing weekly status updates to project team and other key stakeholders weekly, and meeting with key stakeholders to clarify objectives, outcomes, format preferences, etc.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES: 95% of time
- Participate in the design and development of instructional materials for JPEP
- Support the completion of project deliverables such as course materials to include presentations, participant guides, and facilitator guides
- Work with stakeholders to ensure content is consistent and accurate
- Help inform the design of user experience components
- Perform other duties as assigned
NONESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES: 5% of time
- Performs other project duties as assigned
- Contributes to the development and design of other DVCIPM education and training products as required
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment
- Excellent interpersonal and oral/written communication skills
- Keen attention to detail with strong editing/proofing abilities (i.e. grammar, content, formatting, etc)
- Demonstrated ability to multi task, operate with flexibility, and prioritize tasks to ensure timely execution of deliverables
- Experience working through an instructional design process
- Competency with Microsoft Office products as well as related curriculum development and editing tools (i.e. Adobe InDesign, Articulate, SnagIt etc.)
- Must be able to work a minimum of 20 hrs per week
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Candidates must be enrolled in or recently graduated from a masters level Instructional Design/Technology or Education program
Minimum Experience: 0-2 years of directly related experience in curriculum and/or instructional design
0-2 years of experience working with health professionals within a military or veteran setting preferred.
Physical Capabilities: Requires long periods of sitting and working at a computer.
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: Works under the direct supervision of the Sr. Instructional Designer and receives appropriate programmatic and technical guidance from senior staff.
Work Environment: General office setting at the DVCIPM located at 11300 Rockville Pike – Rockville, MD 20852. Occasional domestic travel to facilitate the curriculum implementation may be required.
Other: Work is performed entirely in support of a federally sponsored program and therefore dependent solely on the ability of the Government to fund this effort. Position will terminate in the absence or withdrawal of Federal funds.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the VP of Human Resources.
Interested applicants may contact Kelly Tinsley at firstname.lastname@example.org