K-12 Teacher Education Professional Development
UMBC Continuing & Professional Studies (CPS) collaborates with our Education Department and several other academic departments on campus to offer professional development courses and programs for experienced K-12 teachers. Through partnership agreements with Local Education Agencies (LEA’s), CPS coordinates off-site and on-campus programs for cohorts of experienced teachers which focus on enhancing content knowledge and teacher leadership.
Since cohort programs are developed through partnership agreements with LEA’s, UMBC establishes tuition billing agreements directly with the LEA’s. Teachers typically pay minimal out-of-pocket costs for credits earned through these programs. Depending on the specific program and discipline area, graduate course work, post-baccalaureate certificates, and full master’s degrees are offered.
Cohort programs and summer institutes are offered in the following disciplines:
- Master of Arts in Education (MAE) & 18 Credit Post-Baccalaureate Certificate – with a concentration in Math Education
- Master of Arts in Education (MAE) &18 Credit Post-Baccalaureate Certificate with a concentration in Science Education
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics)
- Master of Arts in Education (MAE) – with a concentration in STEM Education
- Post- Baccalaureate Certificate Program (12 credits) For mainstream teachers who work with English Language Learners in their classrooms
- Intensive Summer Language Institute for Teachers of Spanish Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics