Tweeting all day @
Course Selection Day
Campus Resource Fair and Campus ID Photos
Have your questions answered from a variety of campus representatives from Health Services, to Parking Services and more! Learn how these and other offices can assist you in making the most of your UMBC experience. Be sure to take your photo for your campus ID, and head upstairs to help yourself to a continental breakfast.
Join our faculty, staff, and students as we welcome you to the UMBC community.
LIFE 301: Community and Values
At UMBC, you will have many opportunities to try new things and to make UMBC yours! During this session, staff from the Office of Student Life and your OPAs will lead a discussion on making the most of your experience at UMBC. You will get to meet some of your new classmates and begin to learn about some of the values we share as a UMBC community.
ENRL 301: Preparing to Enroll
UMBC takes pride in its strong liberal arts tradition. Academic advisors will discuss the value of a liberal arts education and the significance of the general education requirements. Learn more about the role of your academic advisor and important advising tools available through myUMBC.
ARTC 301: Articulation and Transfer Credit Overview
Registrar staff provides an overview of the transfer credit evaluation process and discusses the importance of the Transfer Credit Report– an essential advising tool.
- Maryland Community College Transfers
- Four Year and Out-of-State Institution Transfers
ADVS 301: Advising and Registration
Advising is perhaps one of the most important resources and tools to ensure your academic success. During this session, you will meet with an academic advisor to discuss your interests and goals, develop a course schedule, and register online for your Fall 2014 classes!
Enjoy lunch in The Commons and check out the Bookstore for great deals on computers and UMBC gear. Interested in an optional campus tour? Meet your OPA in The Commons Atrium at 1:00 p.m.
UNIV 301: An Introduction to the Honors University
What does it mean to be a student at an honors university? Hear what our professors and OPAs rate as the best strategies for assuring your spot on the Dean’s list. Faculty will demonstrate innovative ways they are engaging students at UMBC including Blackboard communities, chats, and discussion boards.
SPEC 299A: Financing your Education
Student Business Services and Financial Aid staffs share helpful information about electronic billing (e-billing), payment and financing options including payment plans, online payment options, and loans.
Electives: Special Topics on Work and Leisure (Choose One)
SPEC 399A: Your Road Map: Resources for Student Success
When do I need to declare my major? How do I find an internship or service-learning placement? What if I don't know what I want to do for a career? Get answers to these questions and more as staff from the Office of Academic and Pre-Professional Advising, the Shriver Center and the Career Services Center share tips for making the most of your UMBC experience.
SPEC 399B: Finding Your Home at UMBC
Whether you are living on or off-campus, being connected to campus life is an important part of your college experience. Join Residential Life and Off-Campus Student Services staff to learn more about our vibrant residential community and off-campus living options, transportation services, ride-share programs, and more. Following the overview, you will get the answers to your specific questions about living on or off-campus.
Reconnect with family and friends and meet other members of the UMBC community at a reception. Be sure to get Retriever Ready by picking up your Fight Song Shirt and Campus ID. Light refreshments will be served.
OPA Tips for Navigating Course Selection Day:
- UMBC Student ID – Be sure to take your Campus ID photo today! You can pick up your campus ID at Retriever Roundup.
- Stop in the UMBC Bookstore for great deals on UMBC gear. Discount coupons are included in your Orientation and Advising Guide.
- Get a jump start on our 2014 First-Year Book Reading. Stop in the Bookstore to purchase your discounted copy of Enrique’s Journey by Sonia Nazario.
- Parking Permit/Vehicle Registration – Beginning August 1, go online to register your vehicle and to obtain your 2014 student parking permit. Visit https://my.umbc.edu/topics/parking-and-transportation. Please make sure to also learn more about UMBC’s ZipCar options.
- More questions? Log into our Orientation Online Chats and speak with professional advisors, OPAs, and student life staff. Chats will be held on July 16 and August 20 from 7 to 9 p.m. (EST). You will receive an e-mail reminder on the day of the chat. For more information, visit http://www.umbc.edu/orientation/chats.html.