To turn on the Readability Statistics function in Microsoft Word (Office 2003):
- Click on Tools in the top bar
- Select Options
- Select Spell/Grammar
- Look for the subheading Grammar. Then, click on the box that says “Show readability statistics.” This will turn on the readability function.
- Once you have created a draft consent form, run a spell check. To run a spell check, go to Tools, then select Spelling and Grammar.
- Go through the prompts as it spell-checks your document.
- At the end of the spell check, it will display the readability statistics.
To turn on the Readability Statistics function in Microsoft Word (Office 2007):
- Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Word Options.
- Click Proofing.
- Make sure Check grammar with spelling is selected.
- Under When correcting grammar in Word, select the Show readability statistics check box.