UMBC Links: A-Z Index | myUMBC | Calendar | Computing | Directory | Maps
UMBC logo
UMBC Residential Life

General Services

Cable service is provided in each apartment or residence hall room. This service allows reception of many local and campus stations, as well as a wide variety of network programs.
Residents need to provide a coaxial cable to connect their T.V. or VCR/DVD player into the wall outlet to access cable. Cable televisions are also available in the lobbies.

Internet Access
Each resident’s room or apartment has one high-speed internet jack per student. Wireless access is available in most common areas and rooms. Additional information is available by accessing UMBC’s Office of Information Technology (OIT) homepage: Select “Purchasing a Computer” for “Student Purchases.”

Community Desks back to top
Staffed by students, the residence hall or apartment desk provide a variety of services for residents including the distribution of mail, toilet paper and vacuum cleaners. In the residence halls, desk staff check the ID's of all individuals who wish to enter the building. You may also go to the desk to report for Facilities related emergencies.

Community Rooms back to top
There are large community or meeting rooms for multiple uses in Chesapeake, Erickson, Harbor, Patapsco, Potomac and Susquehanna halls. There are smaller conference and meeting rooms in the Terrace Community for use by residents of this community only.

Facilities Reservations back to top
The following spaces may be used by groups affiliated with Residential Life, student organizations registered with the Student Life Office, and members of the UMBC community:

  • Harbor Hall Multipurpose Room
  • Patapsco Hall Community Room
  • Potomac Hall Basement Community Room
  • Susquehanna Hall Community Room

In addition to the above-mentioned spaces, grill and courtyard areas may be reserved in Erickson and Harbor Halls by residents, Living/Learning classes & programs and staff and student groups directly affiliated with Residential Life. Groups wishing to reserve one of these rooms must complete a Facility Reservation Request Form at the Residential Life Office at least five working days in advance of the event. To reserve one of these spaces please call 410-455-8832.

Grills/courtyards are available for general use by individuals between the hours of 12 noon and 8:00 p.m. The grill policy is available on the Residential Life web site.
Heating and Air-Conditioning (HVAC)
For energy, safety and conservation measures, temperatures in individual student rooms have a limited range of adjustment. The temperature range on individual thermostats may be more limited than the options that are visible on the actual thermostat as you attempt to set it. For example, in the Winter, you may attempt to set your thermostat to 80 degrees but the actual range of temperature only reaches 75 degrees. For details on the specific ranges available in your residential community, contact or check for updated information on the Facilities section of the Residential Life web site.

FXIT: Submit a Work Order (Maintenance) Request back to top
For all communities, except Walker Avenue, you should call FXIT for things (non-emergencies) that need to be repaired/fixed in your room or common area:

  • For a facility emergency during office hours call the FXIT line, x5-FXIT (5-3948)
  • For a facility emergency after hours call your front desk and staff will contact the Maintenance Assistant (MA) on duty.
For questions about the status of a request call x5-FXIT (5-3948).
To submit a work order in Walker Avenue contact the Walker management office, x2-7541|

Ice back to top
Ice is available, free of charge, for your personal use at your residence hall desk or apartment laundry room. You will need to provide your own cup or container. No large coolers please.

Keys, Swipes & Identification Cards back to top
When leaving your room you should lock the door and keep your key and/or swipe card (UMBC red ID) with you at all times. If you get locked out of your room go to your community desk to get a temporary key/swipe card. If this key is not returned a lock change (re-core) will occur and the cost will be billed to your student account. If you lose your key or ID , except in Walker Avenue, report this to the community front desk immediately. Walker residents need to report a lost key to the Walker management office. Your key or ID is for your use only & you may not lend your key or ID to others.

Patapsco West, Potomac, Hillside, Susquehana residents ONLY: if you lose your red UMBC ID–which is also your room key–you'll need to go to the Campus Card office first to get a replacement card. You can be issued a temporary card from the Front Desk. There is a $30 charge to your student account or a $20 charge if you pay cash at the Campus Card office. You'll then need to bring your red UMBC ID to Residential Life office to have it re-programmed–there is an additional $30 fee. There is also a $20 fee if you lose the temporary ID.

All residents, except those living in Walker Avenue, are given a Resident ID. This card must be shown to the Desk Staff upon entry. Residents visiting other communities must leave their Resident ID (or a photo ID) at the community desk.

If you lose your Resident ID, you must go to the Campus Card office for a replacement; there is a $20 replacement fee. Giving your UMBC or resident ID to another person is prohibited.

Laundry back to top

Laundry facilities are available in all residence areas. In the halls, laundry rooms are located in the basement or ground floor. West Hill and Terrace laundry rooms are located adjacent to each desk. Hillside residents will have access to Elk laundry facilities until November 1st and after that will have access to Erickson Hall laundry facilities. Please look for additional Info. The cost to use a washer and dryer is $.75 each & quarters are needed for payment. For refunds the refund form will be on the myHousing link on the Residential Life web page. Forms are also available at each community desk. Each apartment in Walker Avenue has its own washer and dryer.

Mail back to top
Mail is delivered to the residence facilities daily, Monday through Friday. All residents are assigned a mailbox in their hall or apartment area. You will share your mailbox with your roommate(s). Hall residents can pick up mail in the residence hall lobby. Apartment residents can pick up mail at their apartment desk during regular office hours. Hillside residents can pick up mail in Terrace office. Please encourage people who send you important letters or packages to have them registered, certified, and/or insured. "C.O.D" letters or packages are not accepted at the desks. Your mail should be addressed like the example below to avoid delays or loss:

Your Name
Hall/Apartment Community Name, Room/Apartment #
UMBC, 1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, Maryland 21250

During January, first class mail of the residents who live in the residence halls (not the continuous occupancy hall) is forwarded to the home address. Bulk and third class mail is held until students return to campus. On-campus mail may be sent without a stamp to any location on the UMBC campus from the desks or from the mailroom located in the University Center. Simply mark your envelope "campus mail" and drop it off at the desk. Outgoing mail to off-campus locations requires adequate postage and can be left at the desk for daily pick up, Monday through Friday, or dropped into any U.S. mail box.

Phones back to top
Due to lack of room phone usage, phones and voicemail are being phased out of the residential communities. To request services follow the instructions on the Phone/Voicemail request form on the Residential Life web site under “myHousing”.

Toilet Tissue back to top
Toilet tissue is available to hall and apartment residents free of charge at all desks. To get a new roll of tissue, simply stop at the desk and pick one up.

Transportation back to top
Zipcars @ UMBC - Access cars parked on campus 24/7! Zipcar Program & TAG UMBC Flyer |

Vacuum Cleaners back to top
In the residence communities vacuum cleaners may be checked out from your desk with a valid Resident ID.

Vending Machines back to top
Vending machines are located in the lobby of each residence hall and in the laundry room of each apartment area. Machines are operated by an outside vendor through the Food Services office and include beverage and snack machines. For problems or refunds contact Food Services x5-2188 located in the University Center (UC). Provide the following when you call:

  • Your name
  • Your extension
  • Where you live
  • Detailed description of the problem you are having

Due to lack of room phone usage, phones and voicemail are being phased out of the residential communities. To request services follow the instructions on the Phone/Voicemail request form on the Residential Life web site under “myHousing”.


All housekeeping performed within the Office of Residential Life is facilitated by an
independently contracted company.  The housekeepers are responsible for the following:

  • Routine cleaning in common and public spaces
  • Trash collection
  • Cleaning prior to Opening and after Closing
  • Emergency after-hours clean up
  • Other duties as assigned

If there is a housekeeping related concern in any public area that requires immediate
attention, it should be reported directly to the UMBC FXIT line (5-3948).

Residents are responsible for the cleanliness of individual rooms, suite common rooms,  bathrooms and kitchens in apartments.  Health and safety concerns occur twice a semester.  UMBC housekeeping staff are responsible for study lounges, residence hall lobbies,
community bathrooms, laundry rooms, hallways and stairwells.  Concerns regarding housekeeping issues should be directed to Residential Facilities or FXIT 5-3948.

Extermination Cycles

The Office of Residential Life employs a professional pest control company for regularly scheduled evaluations of the residential communities.  Extermination occurs every Thursday.
Residents are notified in advance before extermination begins.  Students with specific concerns should contact the FXIT line (5-3948) directly. 

Products used are water-based and non-toxic.  Maintenance Assistants also help regulate minor pest control problems.


Residential Life works with other University offices and student groups to promote
sustainability and good environmental stewardship.  Some examples are:

All of our facilities use energy efficient lighting.  During recent renovations and construction, we have used energy efficient windows and HVAC systems.

Instead of ending in a landfill, much of our surplus furniture is processed through the
Terrapin Trader ( where it is resold to students, staff and the general public.  Also, surplus building materials like drywall, paint, kitchen appliances, etc. are donated to a local charity called The Loading Dock (  They then sell the products to other local charities at greatly reduced rates.  Landfill space and fees are saved and local charities receive needed supplies.

Aluminum, glass, and plastic recycling is available in all residential communities.  In the apartment there is a single source recycling container located next to the Dumpsters.  Paper recycling is available in some of the residence halls, usually in your floor lounge. 


  • Utilize blue recycling containers (avoid contamination with trash)
  • Turn off lights, computers & monitors when not in use
  • Keep windows shut when air conditioning and heating units are on
  • Purchase energy efficient bulbs and eco-friendly cleaning products
  • Carpool when possible.  Walk or use bicycles between classes
  • Avoid keeping cell phone chargers plugged into outlets when not charging
  • Reduce water use (turn off water when brushing teeth, do laundry with full loads, reduce shower time)
  • Get involved with Students for Environmental Awareness and the Resident Student   Association to impact UMBC’s green initiatives.

For more information about campus environmental issues and to get involved, please see the Student for Environmental Awareness at