Alcohol and Other Drugs Committee
Chairs: David Clurman
The purpose of the Alcohol and Other Drug Committee is to guide and coordinate activities related to student alcohol and other drugs on campus. This committee will:
- coordinate the evaluation and assessment of behaviors, programs, and interventions related to student alcohol and other drug use and abuse at UMBC.
- consult with each student affairs department to coordinate an integrated alcohol and other drug use and abuse curriculum to include social norms marketing, education and prevention.
- monitor public health literature and higher education best practices and provide the staff of student affairs with current information about drug and alcohol prevention, social norms marketing, policy development and other related issues (e.g. alcohol and violence, bystander behavior, trends of prescription drug use on college campuses, mental health, host liability, etc).
- work with the student affairs staff development committee to provide annual training on issues related to alcohol and other drugs.
- study and review existing student affairs and University AOD policies and practices and make recommendations for revisions to the student affairs council and vice president for student affairs.
In the event that a department within student affairs would attain grant monies for AOD efforts, this committee could serve as an advisory body for grant activities.
The chair of this committee will have a strong working knowledge of issues related to and impacted by alcohol and other drug use and abuse.
Membership of the committee will include individuals who are knowledgeable of AOD issues and are willing to consult and work with multiple departments in implementing the charge above.
Other members may be ad hoc depending on the agenda and specific work of the committee.