Applying for Admission
The Admissions Committee evaluates graduate applicants on the basis of their academic record at previous institutions and work experience. Cumulative grade point average, strength of curriculum, performance in courses related to the intended area of study, and recommendation letters are considered.
For graduate students, application to UMBC consists of:
- Completed degree-seeking or non-degree-seeking Graduate School application and, if appropriate, the Maryland residency form which accompanies the application packet. The Registrar's Office provides detailed information about how residency is determined.
- NOTE: When applying online, please use PRST as the Program Code for all programs and the appropriate Sub-Plan Code specific to each program as noted below. Check the MPS box for all programs.
- Industrial & Organizational Psychology: IO
- Geographic Information Systems: GEIS
- Cybersecurity: CYBER
- Biotechnology: BTEC
- Apply on-line and/or send all application materials to UMBC Office of Graduate Enrollment, Program Name, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250, including:
- Application form, submitted if on-line, signed if paper
- Residency form
- Statement of goals and objectives
- $50 application fee if applying online, $70 application fee if applying by paper
- An official transcript from each post-secondary institution attended
- Letters of recommendations (see specific program requirements)
- Resume Experience Form
- Official TOEFL scores (international students only)
- Financial documents (international students only)
Fall Admission Deadline
GIS, CYBER and BIOT: August 1
IO: March 1 (only admits students for fall)
Spring Admission Deadline
GIS, CYBER and BIOT: December 1