Admissions decisions are based on a match of the applicant's interests, work experience, academic background, scholarship and personal goals for the programs. Minimum admission requirements are listed below.
- B.A. or B.S. in Psychology -OR- a bachelor’s degree in a related field with required prerequisite coursework , which included an introductory psychology course and a research methods or statistics course.
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (Students with a GPA less than 3.0 may be admitted to the MPS program provisionally)
- TOEFL Scores: Minimum of 80 –OR- IELTS Score: Minimum of 6.5.
Applications are only considered for the Fall semester. All international applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible to allow sufficient time to receive all the necessary documents and to process and assess the application. We encourage all international applicants to send in their documents at least six months prior to the start of the fall semester applying to.
- Apply online
- Select proposed program Psychology >> Industrial & Organizational Psychology MPS
- Submit statement of goals as an attachment in the “Academic Goals and Research Interests” section
- Insert names of references into “References” section (Note: we only require two. Put N/A in third line)
- Submit Experience Form as an attachment in “Additional Admissions Documents” section
- Complete residency information to be reviewed for tuition classification
- Request official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions to be sent to UMBC Graduate School, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Request for test scores to be sent by ETS to UMBC (code 5835)
Applications are not sent for review until all materials are complete. A complete application will include the following documents:
- Completed application including residency form (Residency form determines tuition classification)
- Two letters of recommendation (if you choose to forego the online option, please see the paper form here)
- Statement of academic goals
- Experience Form
- Official transcript(s) from each college & university attended
- TOEFL or IELTS scores
- Please note: All international students are required to submit Graduate Record and TOEFL scores unless you attended a university in a English-speaking country or hold an undergraduate degree from a U.S. institution.
- Application fee ($50 online / $70 paper)
- If paying by check, the check must be drawn on a bank with a U.S. location. The check should be payable to UMBC.
Obtaining Immigration Documents
If you intend to apply for an F-1 visa and require an I-20 from UMBC, please include the following additional documents with your application.
- Copy of valid passport
- Certified bank statement or bank verification letter from financial sponsor showing a minimum of $29,000 (USD) in available funds.
- Letter from financial sponsor stating they will be responsible for all living expenses and school-related expenses for the duration of your stay at UMBC.
- You can send these documents after you receive your admission decision; however, it could delay you receiving your I-20. Your I-20 is processed after you have been formally accepted into the program.
- All immigration related questions should be addressed to email@example.com, the Office of Education Services.
Presently the program is not offering any financial aid or graduate assistantships. Other campus departments may have graduate assistantships.
If you require further assistance, please contact Ashley Waters at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-738-6081.