Admissions: International Students
The following information is provided for international applicants interested in applying to the Masters of Professional Studies in I/O Psychology. International applicants should read the information provided carefully prior to applying.
International Student Admission Requirements:
All students need to meet the following minimum requirements:
- GRE scores are not required for admission
- B.A. or B.S. in Psychology or a bachelor’s degree in a related field with required prerequisite coursework, which included an introductory psychology course and a research methods or statistics course.
- Applicants should have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (Students with a GPA less than 3.0 may be admitted to the MPS program provisionally)
- TOEFL Scores: Minimum scores: 80 (iBT) OR IELTS Score: Minimum score of 6.5 required
*If you have a three-year degree versus a four-year degree, your transcript will be reviewed to determine whether you have met the necessary pre-requisites for the program. Eligibility for admission can only be determined upon receipt of a complete application.
All international applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible to allow sufficient time to receive all the necessary documents and to process and assess the application.
International applications are accepted for the fall semester only. We encourage all international applicants to send in their documents at least six months prior to the start of the semester applying to. To apply, complete a Degree-Seeking UMBC Graduate School Application and use program name: Industrial & Organizational Psychology (MPS)
- Apply online
- Submit your statement of goals as an attachment in the “Academic Goals and Research Interests” section
- Insert names of references into “References” section (Note: we only require two. Put N/A in third line)
- Submit Experience Form as an attachment in “Additional Admissions Documents” section
- Complete residency information to be reviewed for tuition rates
- Request official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions to be sent to UMBC Graduate School, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250 or emailed to email@example.com.
- Request for test scores to be sent by ETS to UMBC (code 5835)
All documents should be mailed to:
UMBC Graduate School, M.P.S. I/O Psychology
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250 U.S.A.
Your application packet should include the following documents:
- Completed application including residency form (residency form determines in-state tuition eligibility)
- Statement of academic goals
- Experience Form
- Two Recommendation letters
- Official transcript(s) from each college & university attended
- TOEFL scores forwarded to UMBC by ETS - UMBC’s institutional code is 5835
- Application fee ($50 if apply online / $70 if apply by mail)
- If paying by check, the check must be drawn on a bank with a U.S. location. The check should be payable to UMBC.
Please note: All international students are required to submit TOEFL scores unless you attended a university in an English-speaking country or hold an undergraduate degree from a U.S. institution. IELTS are accepted in substitution for TOEFL scores.
Obtaining Immigration Documents
If you intend to apply for an F-1 visa and require an I-20 from UMBC, please include the following additional documents with your application.
- Copy of valid passport
- Certified bank statement or bank verification letter from financial sponsor showing a minimum of $29,000 (USD) in available funds.
- Letter from financial sponsor stating they will be responsible for all living expenses and school-related expenses for the duration of your stay at UMBC.
Send these documents after receipt admission acceptance. Note: I-20 is processed after formal acceptance into the program.
All immigration related questions should be addressed to International Education Services by phone at (410) 455-2624 or by e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org.