Admissions: Master's in I/O Psychology
The application deadline for Fall 2018 is March 1.
Admissions decisions for I/O Psychology programs are based on a holistic review of the applicant's interests, work experience, academic background, and personal goals. Minimum admission requirements are listed below.
- A Grade Point Average of 3.0 or above with:
- A B.A. or B.S. in Psychology or related field from an accredited institution or foreign equivalent OR;
- A B.A. of B.S. in another discipline from an accredited institution or foreign equivalent with coursework to include Introduction to (or General) Psychology and Research Methods or Statistics
- Practical work experience
- A focused Goal Statement demonstrating a basic understanding of the field of I/O and career aspirations with some application of I/O or HR
- GRE scores are not required for admission
*For those applicants who have not yet taken these prerequisite courses, a competitive application would include a plan to take these classes at an accredited institution (in-person or online) prior to starting the program be addressed in the Goal Statement.
Applications are only considered for the Fall semester. To apply, complete a Degree-Seeking UMBC Graduate School Application and use program name: Industrial & Organizational Psychology (MPS)
- Apply online
- Submit your statement of goals as an attachment in the “Academic Goals and Research Interests” section
- Insert names of references into “References” section (Note: we only require two. Put N/A in third line)
- Submit Experience Form as an attachment in “Additional Admissions Documents” section
- Complete residency information to be reviewed for in-state tuition rates
- Request official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions to be sent to UMBC Graduate School, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your application should include the following documents: (Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.)
- Completed application including residency form
- Experience Form
- Official transcript(s) from each college & university attended
- Non-refundable application fee ($50 online)
- Two Recommendation letters
- We recommend at least one from an academic professor or advisor. If that is not possible or practical, applicants may submit letters from other sources. Additional letters beyond two may also be submitted.
- Goal Statement to include (as applicable):
- Your personal and academic background including any coursework relevant to Psychology in general or I/O specifically
- Why you are interested in a career in I/O Psychology or Human Resources including any career goals
- How I/O Psychology ties into any of your work experience to date
- Any research experience you have had
To assist in applicants in identifying interests and career goals within the field of I/O Psychology prior to writing their goal statement, the department recommends visiting the website of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology at www.siop.org or Personnel Testing Council of Metropolitan Washington (www.ptcmw.org).
All application documents should be mailed to:
UMBC Graduate School, MPS: I/O Psychology
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250
If you require further assistance, please contact Rickeysha Jones or call 301-738-6285 .