UMBC-Shady Grove works very closely with Student Support Services on the main campus to provide services for registered Shady Grove students with disabilities. Students with physical or learning disabilities who would like accommodation services and support must register with Student Support Services as soon as possible.
To be eligible for Student Support Services at UMBC, students must meet some of the following criteria:
- Have a documented disability that impacts access to learning
- Be a first generation college student
- Have low income that meets federal guidelines
- Have a need for academic support
The following services are available to Student Support Services participants:
- Academic advisement
- One-to-one peer tutoring
- Resources for students with disabilities such as a Braille Writer, digital recorder, Visual Tek Reading Machine, talking calculators, video phone, accessibility software, etc.
- Services for students with disabilities such as extended test-taking time, note-takers, readers, mobility training, American Sign Language Interpreters, etc.
- Individualized developmental instruction from staff specialists in study skills, communication skills, math/science and writing
Shady Grove students should contact the UMBC-Shady Grove on-site representative with any questions or concerns: Ashley Waters (301-738-6175 or firstname.lastname@example.org).