What is SIAM?
SIAM stands for Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
Established in Delaware in 1952, SIAM conveyed useful mathematical knowledge to other professionals who could implement
mathematical theory for practical, industrial, or scientific use.
Since their establishment SIAM's goals were to:
Who We are and Our Outreach to UMBC
- To advance the application of mathematics and computational science to engineering, industry, science, and society;
- To promote research that will lead to effective new mathematical and computational methods and techniques
for science, engineering, industry, and society;
- To provide media for the exchange of information and ideas among mathematicians, engineers, and scientists.
We are a student chapter to reach out to other students:
- To provide a forum to discuss and promote research in applied mathematics and computational sciences here at UMBC
- To provide opportunities for graduate students to share their research with their peers
- To provide UMBC students information about career opportunities in applied mathematics
- To keep UMBC students informed of conferences, workshops, and other opportunities offered by SIAM
- Provide workshops in enhancing the career outlook of Graduate Students in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Our Student Chapter is sponsored by the department of Mathematics & Statistics