COURSES WITH PREREQUISITE REQUIREMENTS
Many UMBC summer courses, particularly STEM courses, have prerequisite course requirements. You must have successfully satisfied the UMBC prerequisite requirements -- or be currently enrolled in the prerequisite course(s) -- before you can register in summer UMBC courses with prerequisite requirements..
View prerequisite requirements on the online schedule of classes:
- Go to the online schedule of classes, search by subject and class number, and click on the “Course Section” to open the “Class Details” screen.
- Scroll down to “Enrollment Information” to determine the specific prerequisite requirements for the course.
- Click here to download and view a list of all summer courses with prerequisite requirements.
(last updated on 04/04/13)
Prerequisite courses with a minimum grade requirement
Many UMBC courses must be completed with a “C or better” to satisfy the prerequisite requirement for subsequent courses. If you are currently enrolled in a Spring 2013 course with a “C or better” prerequisite requirement for a summer course, you will be granted permission to enroll in the summer course, but you may be required to verify the final grade you receive once spring semester grades are published (see example).
If you do not meet the minimum grade criteria in the spring prerequisite course, you will be required to DROP the UMBC summer course. Similarly, if you are taking a Summer Session I course as a prerequisite for a Summer Session II course, you must meet the minimum grade criteria in the Session I course or you will be required to DROP the Session II course.
Visiting or New Transfer Students
- Before you apply for summer admission to UMBC, make sure you meet the prerequisite requirements for UMBC courses.
- Confirm with your advisor that you have successfully met the equivalent course prerequisite requirements (or are currently enrolled in the equivalent course prerequisite requirements) at your home institution before you apply for summer admission.
- Verify that courses taken at UMBC transfer back to your home institution and (if applicable) satisfy prerequisites at your home institution.
Registering for a course with prerequisites
UMBC’s registration system (myUMBC) verifies that prerequisites have been met before allowing students to enroll. Since myUMBC does not recognize courses taken at other institutions, visiting students who try to enroll in UMBC courses with prerequisites from other institutions will be blocked from registering.
An error message will read: "Requisites not met for class, not enrolled. Requirements have not been met to enroll in the specified class."
You must submit documentation to verify that you have completed the equivalent course prerequisite requirements – or be currently enrolled in the equivalent prerequisite course(s) -- before you can register in UMBC courses with prerequisite requirements.