Students must have successfully satisfied the UMBC prerequisite requirements -- or be currently enrolled in the prerequisite course(s) -- before registering in courses with prerequisite requirements.
View courses with prerequisite requirements (option #1)
View a list of courses with prerequisite
requirements (coming soon).
View courses with prerequisite requirements (option #2)
- Go to the online schedule of classes.
- Search by subject and class number.
- Click on the “Course Section” to open the “Class Details” screen.
- Scroll down to “Enrollment Information” to determine the
specific prerequisite requirements for the course.
Minimum grade requirement:
- Students currently enrolled in a course that is a “C or better prerequisite requirement" will be granted permission to enroll in the upcoming session, but may be required to verify their final grade once current course grades are published.
- Students must drop their course if the minimum grade criteria of the prerequisite course is not met.
- Please be aware of the schedule adjustment deadlines and the refund schedule BEFORE you enroll.
Prerequisite Override Request
- If you receive a registration error indicating that you do not have the appropriate prerequisites, or that you need consent to register, submit a prerequisite override request to the Office of Summer and Winter Program.
- Students granted a prerequisite override will be given a student-specific registration code to enroll.
- Please be aware that a prerequisite override does NOT guarantee your enrollment in the course.
- You are still required to register as soon as possible through myUMBC to secure your seat in the class.
What to include in your prerequisite override request:
- Your name and UMBC campus ID#
- The name and number of the UMBC course(s) you wish to enroll in.
- The name and number of the course(s) from your home institution that fulfills the UMBC prerequisite course requirement.
- A copy of your unofficial transcript (if you did not previously submit a transcript with your admission application) that includes the prerequisite course(s) and final grade received.
- Submit Prerequisite Override Request
Special information for visiting students:
- UMBC's registration system does not recognize non-UMBC students’ prior course history, so visiting students are blocked from registering in any UMBC course with prerequisite requirements.
- Even if you submit your transcript with your admissions application, your non-UMBC course history will NOT be entered into UMBC's registration system.
- When you apply for a prerequisite override, your transcript will be reviewed manually to verify that the appropriate prerequisite requirements have been met.
Contact the Office of Summer and Winter Programs for assistance.