Visiting students must first apply for admission to summer or winter sessions and must submit a new application to enroll in subsequent terms at UMBC.
Note: Current and
incoming UMBC students do
not need to submit an additional application to take summer or winter
You are considered a visiting student if you
- Attend another college or university, and earn credits at UMBC to transfer back to your home
- Enroll at UMBC for a single, non-consecutive term in the summer or winter session.
Visiting student requirements
- Must apply to UMBC as a visiting student and be admitted before
registering for courses by May 20 for session I or June 30 for session II.
- Must be in good academic standing at your home institution.
- Must meet the UMBC course prerequisite requirements (if applicable) before registering.
If you attend another University of Maryland System (USM) school, please be aware that USM inter-institutional enrollment only applies to fall and spring semesters. Therefore, students from other USM schools who wish to enroll in summer or winter session at UMBC must apply as visiting students.
Confirm your status before you apply
- If you plan to enroll at UMBC over multiple consecutive terms (including fall and spring), but do not intend to pursue a full degree program or major, apply as a non-degree student.
- If you previously attended UMBC and left in good standing, apply for
- If you previously attended UMBC and did not leave in good standing, apply
- If you are currently a high school student and want to earn college
credits apply for
- If you are an incoming new student (admitted to begin full- or part-time at UMBC in the fall or spring) you do not need to apply for admission to enroll in the preceding summer or winter session. Contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and ask to change your semester start date to the summer or winter term.