This course will provide the student with an introduction to the science and applications of remote sensing and will also provide a refresher to those students having some prior exposure to the subject. It will cover the physics and engineering concepts of remote sensing and survey a broad range of scientific, military, and commercial techniques and applications. The course is taught by a combination of UMBC faculty as well as practitioners from government and industry.
Day 1 will provide a top level introduction to remote sensing and the basic principles that impact system design and utility. Individuals wanting only a survey of the field may wish to register for the Day 1 Only option below.
Days 2 - 4 will expand on the topics surveyed on Day 1 with detailed system and data descriptions. Anyone working actively in the field will want to register for the All 4 Days option below.
Anyone requiring a basic understanding of remote sensing, its applications, system architectures, and associated technologies, including scientists, engineers, project managers, program managers, system analysts, and technical marketers.
- Introduction to Remote Sensing
- The Atmosphere and Earth Reflectance and Emissivity
- Introduction to Passive Electro-Optical (EO) Remote Sensing
- Introduction to Passive RF Remote Sensing
- Introduction to Active RF Remote Sensing (RADAR)
- Introduction to Active EO Remote Sensing (LADAR, LIDAR)
- Introduction to Defense Applications
- EO Defense Remote Sensing Applications
- Passive RF Defense Applications
- RADAR Remote Sensing Defense Applications
- Survey of Environmental/Earth Systems Satellites and Their Remote Sensors
- Remote Sensing of the Atmosphere
- Remote Sensing of Solid Earth and the Oceans
- Remote Sensing of the Cryosophere
- Remote Sensing of Land Surface and Biosphere
- Instrument and System Design Examples
- Future Developments in Space Remote Sensing
- Special Topic – Monitoring Environmental Hazards from Space: The Gulf Oil Spill
Saturday Certification Prep Classes for Engineering Professionals:
» Certified Systems Engineering Professional (CSEP)
» Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
» Project Management Profesional (PMP)® Certification